V2: Ch 3.3

*****

“And well, that’s the case.”
“Errr...so in short, if you win, Mai-chan and Satsuki-chan will reconcile with each other, right?”
“Yeah.”

It was noon on the day after the talk, Saturday. I was in my room, chatting with Ajisai-san on the phone.

My hands busy with the game controller, I connected my phone to a wireless earphone.

After we had agreed on the gaming competition in the ryoutei, I’d hurriedly set out the competition rules—mapping, limitation on items, PvP rules, and many other things to be considered while playing an FPS game with more than two people—so Mai and Satsuki-san could practice following the guidelines. I’d tried my best to make the game fair, following the standard rules commonly set by players.

And thus, for the sake of remembering every nook and cranny of the battle area, I had been repeatedly training myself by playing.

Also, since this was my second time having a phone conversation with Ajisai-san, I didn’t feel as nervous as the first time. The fact that I was calling her while gaming probably also helped. Lastly, this call had a clear purpose, to provide a status report on the progress of Mai and Satsuki-san. Even I could properly talk on the phone as long as there were clear reasons for calling, hehehe…

But well, considering that I had failed at making them reconcile yesterday, this was a bit awkward!

Ajisai-san responded with another question that she obviously wanted to ask after hearing my explanation.

“Then what would happen if either Mai-chan or Satsuki-chan wins?”
“Guh.”

I couldn’t answer her.

I really couldn't answer her with “The thing is, whoever wins would get the right to marry me~”

What would her reaction be if I answered her with that…

Let’s do a simple mental simulation.

Renako: “Well y’see, it seems like I would marry them~”
Ajisai: “Hee, I see. That must be rough.”

Uh, the imaginary reaction from her was so lacking it hurts...

Wait no, that wasn’t it.

Even if Ajisai-san really had zero interest in me, if the partner was Mai and Satsuki-san, of course she would get excited.

Let’s try it again!

Renako: “Actually...they said I would marry them.”
Ajisai: “Eh, Mai-chan or Satsuki-chan?! That’s amazing! Considering their beauty, that’s good for you, Rena-chan! To think that people like them would accept you—you who would typically be in the bottom average level of society, no matter which community you are! This really is a miracle!”

“Dasshaaa!!”
“Eh, what is it, so sudden?!”
“Nah, um, sorry. The Ajisai-san inside my head just said something really cruel, so I just…”
“Me inside your head?! What’s that? Is that really something normal to have?!”
“Relatively…?”
“Really?! Why?!”

I had successfully replaced the cold Ajisai-san with the cheerful Ajisai-san, but to think she might shower me with snide remarks...the damage she would inflict would likely be a lot more powerful…

But, of course, that’s right.

No matter how you see it, Mai or Satsuki-san, generally speaking, would be the greatest person you could ask for as a lover.

Considering my circumstances, did this count as humble bragging after all…?

Uuh, yup, I couldn’t tell her…