V3: 2.1

The first time I talked to Ajisai-san was the day after the entrance ceremony.

It was a rainy morning.

That day, I was getting ahead of myself since I had succeeded in talking to Mai the day before. At that time, I didn’t have anything to fear. 

That was why when I saw Ajisai-san stuck in the train station near our school, looking troubled, I spoke to her.

If you’re okay with it, how about going together to school?” was what I said.

With a confident smile, I took out the folded umbrella from my bag, sure that I’d invited her naturally. (Glorification)

“Eh, is that okay? That makes me happy.”

Under the rainy sky, the sight of Ajisai-san smiling was just like a scenery of hydrangea flowers amidst the drizzle. She was dazzling.

And after that―

“Please take care of me, Rena-chan.”

After the classroom seat change, she ended up sitting behind me, and we naturally became friends.

Since then, for me, Ajisai-san was the embodiment of my ideal.

Both her adorable appearance and gentle personality really matched each other.

She was one of the first people I knew right after entering high school, so that time I was alarmed, naturally thinking, “Eh, so high-schoolers other than me are angels?!”. But I was wrong. After some time, I could feel that Ajisai-san was special.

She always helped me whenever I was in trouble.

Like that time in physical education class, when I didn’t have anyone to pair with for the warm-up sessions, Ajisai-san saw me standing doing nothing, and came to me, offering her company, “I was troubled since I don’t have a partner. Will you pair up with me?” Just like that, she nearly put me on the verge of tears. That day, I vowed to treasure this person for the rest of my life. My chest was filled with devotion towards her, which made me wonder whether I had been a warrior who had sworn my allegiance to Princess Ajiasai in my past life.

I never found someone else like her.

I was even able to overcome my middle school trauma because of her.

That was why I swore to protect this lovely flower to the end.

That was the form of determination that swirled inside my chest, as I stayed next to her in the swaying train.

“This is my first time boarding the first train like this. It sure is empty, eh?”
“Y-you’re right.”

It seemed that Ajisai-san had a place she wanted to go.

First, we rode along the Keio-line and planned to get off at Shinjuku Station. Then we headed in a certain direction.

“The thing is, I’m always looking at travel sites whenever I don’t have anything to do.”

Both of us held our bags on our laps as we sat side by side. Ajisai-san showed me her phone. Her fingers were painted in adorable pink, and she pointed at her screen.

On the screen was a list of numerous inns.

“When I was planning for my solo trip, this app said it’d take around two hours until my destination. So, I thought about what I should do for two hours by myself. Reading a book, or spending my time fantasizing how my trip would go.”

Ajisai-san said a word like “fantasizing” so naturally like it was something you could say in front of people. This social recluse was getting taught the way to use words properly by the real outgoing person.