V3: Epilogue

I walked to the meeting point, which was the park near my house. When I arrived, it wasn’t just Ajisai-san waiting for me. Mai was also there.

I wondered what had happened.

It was already dark out, and if the other person wasn’t Ajisai-san, the setting would totally seem like a place where a crime would happen.

Huh. She didn’t call me out here because she was angry, right…? I had thrown on a sweater and came here directly.

I carefully asked about her intentions, “Errr...what are you and Mai doing here?”

They exchanged a look with each other at my question.

I had no idea what was going on, but this was pretty distressing.

Ajisai-san took a step forward.

It was a summer night, but the air still felt a bit chilly in this season.

“Um, listen.”
“Okay.”

Ajisai-san placed her hands on top of her chest, and then took a deep breath.

“Rena-chan, I—”
“U-uh huh?”

Somehow, the mood made me nervous.

“For a long time, I've been really bad at taking other people's things.”
“I-I see.”
“Yeah… for example, swings being used by other kids, even though it was time to switch, I couldn’t bring myself to ask them. I thought that as long as they were having fun while using it, I was satisfied, since I couldn’t have fun by forcing my will on others for my own convenience.”

I glanced at Mai, my gaze saying, “What’s this about?”

But Mai only responded with a slight shrug.

...so she was saying that I just need to listen to her, right…?

Ajisai-san continued talking slowly.

“When I started to look after my brothers, these thoughts only got stronger. That seeing others’ happiness was enough to make me happy.”

It was the same thing that she had said before.

“When someone from my class invited me to hang out, it meant that they invited me since they wanted to spend time with me, right? If so, as long as they were having fun, that was okay. That’s what I had always thought up until now. Since I’m a ‘good person’ who always prioritizes others.”

Ajisai-san chuckled. Fufu.

“A real ‘good person’ wouldn’t say something like that, though. I’m really a fool. The way I never said what I really thought—my selfishness—it only strained myself.”

She settled her gaze on me.

“The one who taught me that was Rena-chan. It’s you.”

I had entirely no idea what sort of emotions and thoughts she was currently channeling towards me, but I could understand well that these emotions weren’t something ordinary. They were strong enough to reach me.

“M-me?”

“Yeah… for me, you always shine so bright, showing me the path whenever I am lost. You see, Rena-chan, you really gave me the strength to keep moving forward.”

Suu. Ajisai-san took a deep breath again.

“That’s why—”

Below the night sky, Ajisai-san weaved her words together into one tender statement.