V2: Epilogue

“Great work, everyone!”

Kaho-chan raised her glass as the rest of us followed with a cheerful, “Cheers!”

Right after the closing ceremony, We’d dropped by a café near our school.

By ‘we’, of course I meant me, Kaho-chan, Ajisai-san, followed by Mai and Satsuki-san, all five of us. The revival of Mai’s group! Yay!

While drinking her cream soda, Kaho-chan grinned, her body swaying in excitement.

“Summer break starts tomorrow~!”
“Do you have any plans for the summer, Satsuki-chan?”
“Let’s see. I have a lot of books I want to finish. I’ll probably spend my break reading books in the bath, immersing myself for whole days at a time.”
“Wouldn't that damage your books, reading them while dipping inside a bath?”
“That’s because of the humidity inside the bathroom. If I open the window and let the air circulate, it’ll be okay. I also have a book stand anyway.”
“Th-that’s right. Satsuki-san’s bathroom is quite amazing, you know.”

Sitting at the edge of the table, I finally found an opening to join their conversation, so I took the chance and put on my best smile. After I said that, Mai also joined in and said, “Right,” like she agreed with me.

“Certainly, the Koto household has a great taste in arranging their bathroom thanks to Satsuki’s meticulousness. Which reminds me, why would you know about that, Renako?”
“Eh?”

Mai tilted her head, a smile plastered on her face. Her slightly-opened eyes didn’t smile at all though…

This was followed by Ajisai-san, with a voice like she was in shock. “Re-Rena-chan…?”

Th-this mood...I felt like my blood was draining from my body.

Could it be that I just did something again……..? (In a bad way)

As if she was enjoying the whole charade, Kaho-chan also joined in.

“Eh, what does it mean, what does it mean?! Explain yourself, Saa-chan!”
“It wasn’t something that grand. She just came over.”
“Hou?”

Satsuki-san confronted Mai’s agitated stare while stroking her own hair, saying “That’s not something strange, right? Having friends over in your house.”

I felt like my head was being jerked around.

The contractual relationship between us was now over.

Our formal relationship as lovers, those heart-throbbing moments, the suffocating everyday life.

But to be honest, the Satsuki-san who played her part as the virtuous wife was adorable, and I had also greatly enjoyed our time together.

That’s why, I thought once everything was over, we would go back to being strangers in the same social circle.

When I heard those words from Satsuki-sanー

“Sa-Satsuki-sa~~~~n…..!”
“Eh, wha, Rena-chan you’re crying?!”
“Rena-chan?!”
“Wh-what’s wrong with you…?”

Sniffle.

My hardships for the past two weeks hadn’t been in vain.

“B-because...Satsuki-san, you said that, we are friends~~~........!”
“Just because of that?”
“That’s important for me~~~~~~~~!”

Aah, not good. I couldn’t hold back these tears, which kept flowing.

Although I was pretty sure that these people would find me funny with this kind of reaction, Kaho-chan and Ajisai-san unexpectedly took my arms, embracing them.