Chapter 6

"Getting there, heh?" he said and I laughed.
"Take it easy, cowboy" I said and he rolled his eyes. "You're going to have to have patience with me"

"So, Emma. Are you going to the dance?" Alice had joined us. She linked her arm with mine and I was fine with it.
"Me? To a dance?" I said and laughed. "I assume you're joking, she is joking, right?" I looked at Jasper.

"With her, you never know" he said and Alice hit him.
"Come on, Emma. You have to come. It'll be amazing" she said and I sighed.
"Alice, I can't dance. I really don't like being around a lot of people" I said and she had puppy eyes.

"Please? We can go together, and if you don't like it, we can always leave. But you have to try it at least once" she said and I looked at Jasper, hoping for support but he looked away.
'Great, thanks for the help, cowboy'

"Ulgh, fine... if I have to. But no high heels!" I said and she chuckled.
"Great! I'll make sure you have a dress, Jasper won't be able to look away from you" she whispered in my ear, making me blush.
"Alice!" I whisper/yelled after her.

After the tour in the greenhouse, we went back to the bus. Where we saw Edward and Bella, I think they were fighting...
"Hi" said Alice. "Are you gonna be riding with us?" she tried to be friendly.

"No, our bus is full" said Edward rudely.
I looked at Jasper who was also surprised by his reaction.
"I should check up on Bella" I told him.
"See you tomorrow" he said and I ran after Bella.

"So, what was that all about?" I asked.
"He told me we shouldn't be friends" she said and I frowned.
"What is he? In fourth grade?" I said and she smiled.

"He still won't tell me the truth. He said it was an adrenaline rush or something. But he just won't tell me" she said.
"Well, Jasper said he ran after me because I dropped my notebook. Which is why he was there so fast to help me. Maybe it was something similar?" I asked and she looked confused.

"Emma, I saw Jasper standing with Edward on the other side" she said.
"Maybe you're wrong. Look, I'll admit that it is weird to push a driving van away with your hand. But maybe we're just looking for something that isn't there" I said.
"Maybe" she said.
"You're not going to give up, are you?" I asked and she shook her head.

The next day Bella was constantly looking for Edward.
We saw the Cullens at their usual table. I had slept well again, so I decided to join Bella and her friends.
"Hey, La Push, babies. You in?" asked Eric.

"Should we know what that means?" asked Bella.
"La Push Beach down at the Quileute Rez. We're all going tomorrow" said Mike.
"Yeah, there's a big swell coming in" said Jessica.
"And I don't just surf the internet" said Eric.

"Eric, you stood up once and it was a foam board" said Jessica.
"But there's whale watching too. Come with us, it's a beautiful environment to draw" said Angela and I smiled.
"La Push, baby. It's La Push" said Eric and I rolled my eyes.

"Oka, I'll go if you stop saying that, okay?" said Bella. "Emma, do you want something?" she was going to get some food.
"No, I'm good, thank you" I said and she left.
"Emma, are you coming too?" asked Angela.
"Yeah, I would love to draw the beach. It sounds very nice" I said and she smiled.

I saw Edward Cullen with Bella, he was talking to her again.
I looked over at Jasper who just shrugged his shoulders, making me roll my eyes.
"So, what's the deal between you and Jasper Hale?" asked Angela.
"We're friends, why?" I asked.

"They don't talk to anyone else" she said. "Has he asked you to the prom?"
"No" I laughed. "I didn't want to go, since I can't dance at all. But Alice convinced me to go"
"It's weird how they only talk to you and Bella" said Jessica.
'Is she jealous?'

The next day we all went to the beach. Bella had told me she tried to convince Edward to come, but he didn't want to since it was crowed.
'There's literally not a soul around'

I took out my sketchbook and began to draw the sea and the rocks.
"So, I keep thinking that Eric's gonna ask me to the prom, and then he just doesn't" said Angela.
"You should ask him" said Bella. "Take control. You're a strong, independent woman"
"I am?" asked Angela.
"Yes" I said.

Jacob and 2 of his friends came to us.
"Bella, Emma" he said.
"Hi, Jacob" said Bella. "Guys, this is Jacob"

"Hey guys, how are you doing?" said Jacob and sat down next to Bella.
"What are you, like, stalking me?" said Bella.
"You're on my rez, remember? Are you surfing?" he asked.
"Definitely not. Emma is drawing" said Bella and he looked at my sketch.

"Not bad" he said and I smiled.
"You guys should keep Bella company. Her date bailed" said Jessica, making me roll my eyes.
"What date?" panicked Eric.
"She invited Edward" said Jessica.
'She is way too happy that Bella got rejected...'

"To be polite, that's it" said Bella.
"I think it's nice she invited him. Nobody ever does" said Angela.
"Yeah, 'cause Cullen's a freak" said Mike.
"You got that right" said one of Jacob's friends.

"You guys know him then?" I asked.
"The Cullens don't come here" said the other friend.
'Way to be weird about it...'

~

Jacob took Bella and I for a little walk.
"What did your friends mean about, you know, 'The Cullens don't come here'?" asked Bella.
"You caught that, huh?" said Jacob.
"Kind of hard not to" I said.

"I'm not really supposed to say anything about it" said Jacob.
"Hey, we can keep a secret" flirted Bella.
'Oh boy...'
"Really, it's just like an old scary story" said Jacob.
'Wait, that flirting just really worked?' I was honestly surprised.

"Well, we want to know" said Bella.
"Okay, did you know Quileutes are supposedly descended from wolves?" asked Jacob.
"What? Like, wolves? Like real wolves?" I asked.
"Yeah, well that's the legend of our tribe" he said.

"Okay, so what's the story about the Cullens?" asked Bella.
"Well, they're supposedly descended from this, like, enemy clan. My great grandfather, the chief, found them hunting on our land. But they claimed to be something different, so we made a treaty with them. If they promised to stay off Quileute lands, then we wouldn't expose what they really were to the palefaces" said Jacob.

"I thought they just moved here" said Bella.
"Or just moved back" said Jacob.
"Well, what are they really?" asked Bella.
'Now you're being too pushy, Bells'

"It's just a story, Bella. Come on, let's go" he said.
But when we got home, Bella didn't drop it.
She began searching the internet for anything...

~

Lately I had been sleeping very well. I could vaguely remember the cold feeling, but then I just slept again.
The next morning I had a text from Alice. Saying she and her family were going camping since it was so sunny outside.

Bella kept looking around for Edward.
Before I could tell her he wasn't here, Jessica spoke.
"He's not here" she said. "Whenever the weather's nice, the Cullens disappear"
"What, do they just ditch?" asked Bella.

"No, Dr. and Mrs. Cullen yank them out for, like, hiking and camping and stuff. I tried that out on my parents. Not even close" Jessica complained.
Angela joined us and she was very happy.
"Guys, I'm going to the prom with Eric. I just asked him. I took control" she said.

"I told you that would happen" said Bella and she hugged Angela.
"Are you sure you have to go out of town?" asked Angela.
'Right, Bella's excuse to reject Mike, going to Jacksonville'

"Oh, yeah, it's a little family thing" said Bella.
"Okay, we should go shopping in Port Angeles before all the good dresses get cleaned out" said Jessica.

"Port Angeles? You mind if I come?" asked Bella, surprising me.
"Yeah, I need your opinion" said Angela. "Yours too, Emma"
"I don't know..." I complained and she begged me. "Fine, fine. I'll come. But I won't be trying on any dresses"