Chapter 10

When we were finished dancing, it was time for dinner.
I heard a bowl breaking and Jasper stopped me from going into the kitchen.
"Perfect" it was the voice of Rosalie.

"Yeah, it's just because I know that you guys don't eat..." said Bella.
"Of course, that's very considerate of you" said Esme.
"Just ignore Rosalie, I do" said Edward.

"Yeah" said Rosalie. "Let's just keep pretending like this isn't dangerous for all of us. Emma isn't human, so she understands. But for a human to know about us is very dangerous"
"I would never tell anybody anything" said Bella.
"She knows that" said Carlisle.

"Yeah, well the problem is, you two have gone public now, so..." began Emmett.
"Emmett" said Esme.
"No, she should know" said Rosalie. "The entire family will be implicated if this ends badly"

"Badly as in... I would become the meal" said Bella and I began to laugh.
We walked in and Alice followed us.
"Oh, Bells. You are so funny sometimes" I said and walked to the kitchen table, where I took some of the food they made. Jasper stood behind me and touched my waist, he wasn't too comfortable around Bella yet.

"Hi Bella" said Alice. "I'm Alice" she hugged Bella, who didn't know how to react.
"Hi" said Bella.
"Oh! You do smell good" said Alice.

I looked at Jasper to see if he was okay, I took one of his hands and he relaxed a little bit.
"Alice, what are you..." began Edward.
"It's okay. Bella and I are gonna be great friends. Just like me and Emma" said Alice.

They all looked at Jasper, whose face stiffened a little bit.
"Sorry, Jasper's our newest vegetarian. It's a little difficult for him" said Carlisle.
"Although around Emma it is getting a bit easier" said Jasper and tried to smile at Bella. "It's a pleasure to meet you"

I soothed his hand with my thumb and smiled at him.
"All right, I'm gonna take you on a tour of the rest of the house" said Edward.
"Well, I'll see you soon" said Alice.
"Bells, don't do anything I wouldn't do" I teased her and she rolled her eyes before following Edward. "I love you too, Bells!"

~

"Is it always so hard for you to control it?" I asked Jasper when we were back in his room.
"Yes, it's still new for me. But around you it's easier" he said.
"Why is that?" I asked.

"Your smell, it's soothing. It calms me down and hearing you breathe and hearing your heartbeat is relaxing" he said and he frowned a little bit.
"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Can I... Can I listen to your heart for a bit?" he asked and I nodded.
He laid his ear on my chest and I wrapped my arms around him.
He closed his eyes and I played with his blonde hair.

"I noticed it when I first met you, your heartbeat is very soft. It has slowed down a bit" he said.
"Well, if I'm going to be immortal someday, it makes sense that my hearts starts to beat slower I guess" I said and he nodded.

"Am I not too cold?" he asked and I shook my head.
"I like the cold" I said and he chuckled. "So don't worry about that"
"I'll always worry about you, Emma" he said and closed his eyes again while listening to my heartbeat.
'Oh Jasper... what are you doing to me?'

~

A few days went by and when school was over on Friday, we met up with Charlie at the restaurant.
He had been investigating the animal attacks...

"Arizona's!" it was Mike, he and a few of his friends were hanging out at the restaurant. "Yo, what's happening? So you two and Cullen and Hale, huh? That's... I don't like it"
'Not that's it's any of your business' I thought.

"I mean, I don't know. He just looks at you like you're something to eat. And Hale looks like he's in pain all the time" he said.
'Oh boy, you have no idea how right you are'

The atmosphere was different... people were looking at Charlie constantly.
"Hey, sorry we're late. I had a Biology project" said Bella.
"I ordered you the spinach salad. And Emma for you I ordered the vegetarian burger. I hope that's okay" said Charlie and I smiled.

"Thank you" I said.
"You should order one for yourself next time. Cut back on the steak" said Bella.
"Hey, I'm as healthy as a horse" said Charlie.

The waitress served our food but stayed at our table.
"Say, Chief" she said. "Boys want to know... did you find anything down by Queets River today?"
"Yeah, we found a bare human footprint. But it looks like whoever that is, is headed east so Kitsap County sheriff is gonna take over from here" said Charlie.

'A human footprint? So the animal that killed Charlie's friend... was a vampire?'
"Okay" said the waitress. "I just hope they catch him fast"
She left and I heard Mike dancing behind the glass.
'Oh boy'

"Looks like your friends are flagging you" said Charlie and Bella looked behind her, noticing the embarrassing scene... "It's okay if you wanna go join them. I'm just gonna turn in early anyway"
"Me too" said Bella.
"Me three" I said.

"Bella, Emma. It's Friday night, go out. Looks like the Newton boy's got a big smile for you Bella" said Charlie.
"Yeah, he's a good buddy" said Bella and I almost choked on my drink from laughter.
"How about any of these other yahoos in town?" asked Charlie. "Anybody interest you?"

"Dad, we gonna talk about boys?" asked Bella.
"Yeah, I guess not" said Charlie. "I just feel like I leave you two alone too much. You two should be around people"
"I like being alone" I said and took a bite out of my burger.
"I don't really mind being alone either" said Bella. "I guess I'm kind of like my dad in that way"

~

When we got home, Bella was talking with Renée on the phone. I listened to some music and began drawing the forest that was outside of the Cullen's house.
But I stopped when I sensed someone familiar, I was beginning to recognise the Cullens by their cold feeling. The feeling I got when I sensed death.

But Jasper felt nice so I smiled when I saw him.
"So, Alice is saying a storm is coming. And that's when we play baseball" said Jasper.
"You guys play baseball?" I asked and he smiled.
"Yes, it is a popular sport in America" he said and I put my sketchbook away. "Edward is going to take Bella with him. I thought maybe you'd want to come too"

"You don't expect me to play, do you?" I asked and he shook his head.
"You can watch how awesome we are" he teased.
But soon I heard a crash in Bella's room.

"What the?" I said and went to her door. But I sensed Edward and figured it was best to leave them alone.
When I came back, Jasper was laying down on my bed and I snuggled into his chest.
"Sweet dreams, darling" he whispered and kissed my hair.
"Don't go" I whispered.
"I'm not going anywhere, I promise" he whispered and I soon fell asleep...