4. Nikaah

Angry tears streamed down Mehrimah's eyes as she gazed at the Ottoman tents that could be seen from the terrace of the palace, outside the border of Agra.

Tomorrow morning they will enter the city and palace. And then Mehrimah will be married off to Sultan and then they will head towards Istanbul, away from her country, away from her family..........and away from her dream.

She was a fool that she expected a stranger to help her when her own father was not understanding her. 

Mehrimah wiped her tears and angrily headed towards her father's chamber. If they want to see the rebel inside her then they will see it.

Mehrimah angrily entered her father's chamber and saw that he and her mothers, brothers and sisters were busy discussing about her wedding and had smiles on their faces. Damn those smiles on their faces! They burned Mehrimah's heart with envy and anger!

'Khushi hoti hai na bohot?.........Kissi ko jalta dekh kar?..........Kissi ki zindagi kharab hoti dekh kar?!' she asked them gaining their attention. They all stood up at the sight of red-faced Mehrimah.

'Mehrimah aap kaisi baatein-'

'-Par maaf kariyega aap sab hume! Hum aapki iss khushi ki vajah nahi ban sakte!' Mehrimah cuts her father in between.

'Mehrimah kya ho gaya hai aapko?' Jodha asked her.

'Aap logon ko kya laga.....hum itni aasani se apni Ammi, apne mulk aur apne takht ko bhula kar kissi aur mulk mein chale jayeinge?' she asked them.

'Nahi! Hum nahi jayeinge!..............Tab tak toh bilkul nahi jayeinge jab tak takht par baith kar uss insaan ko sazza nahi sunate jisne humse humari Ammi aur bacchpan cheena!' She said the latter part while looking at Ruqiya. A volcano of fear erupted inside Ruqiya. 'Inhe kaise pata chala?' she thought while trying to keep her features calm.

'Aapko humari maddat nahi karni hai na Abbu toh na karein!...........Aane dijiye kal Sultan ko! Hum khud unke mooh par manna kareinge nikaah ke liye!' she declared and left everyone afraid of her words. If she does that, god knows what Murad will do to Mughal Sultanate.

Ruqiya came inside her chamber. Feeling anxious. She wasn't afraid about Mehrimah's threat because she had too much trust on the society that it won't let a woman sit on the throne.

She was afraid about Mehrimah's declaration. If she insults Sultan after Akbar's yes for this marriage, she was damn sure that Murad won't take it. He will destroy Mughal Sultanate.

What will she do of the title of Queen mother when their will be no Sultanate left? Her hard work of whole life of faking love to Salim will go down the drain. 

No. She can't let go when her goal is so close.

If Mehrimah's mother's existence is stopping her from marrying Murad then-

'Ikbal Khan!' Ruqiya called for the eunuch who serves her.

Ikbal khan came inside while running. He gave her a salam and said 'Hukm karein begum sahiba!'