Chapter Three

Triton didn't know what to think. The angel called him a siren. A siren, of all things. Triton had thought that the angel would understand what it was like to be judged. To be feared. But he was wrong.

He had been called a siren by the first non-oceanic person had he had talked to in a very long time. He had also said that sirens killed all those mortals.

Sure they may have been the cause of the death of those mortals but all merfolk live by a code. Only sing above the surface if it's clear with no mortals in hearing distance or if those on the ship deserved to die.

If they were those that took life, just simply because others were in the way. Ones that kill oceanic creatures for no reason. Those that try harm merfolk. The real monsters.

Monsters aren't those with sharp teeth or scales or claws. They aren't the ones that look different than the rest. Monsters aren't the odd ones out. Monsters are those without mercy. Without a soul worth saving. That live a life that isn't worth living.

Merfolk only like to sing. Same as a fish likes to swim. That is their nature. To sing. Not to kill. Not to seduce. Not to harm.

It's not the fault of the mermaid if idiotic sailors drown trying to reach them. It is not the fault of the mernix if they are testing their voice and draw in some cruel pirates. If a merman sings and a lustful god is listening, it is not their fault.

The foolish actions of others have forced all merfolk to live a life of exile. Not being able to enjoy singing while above the surface. Sound resonates far more beautifully above water than within it. However since mortals and gods can't mind their business, merfolk have been branded as killers. As flesh eaters.

Which in itself is disgusting. Some merfolk have eaten flesh, but most rather to feast on aquatic plants. All sea life is to be respected. They are not food. The merfolk that eat flesh only do so when it is a land-dwelling animal. They are not of their realm, therefore merfolk have no qualms about killing it to eat.

It confused Triton. Why would the angel use such a dusgusting word to refer to him when Triton had been nothing but polite to him.

"Hey Triton how was your date?" Kymopoleia said swimming along beside him.

Anteros came up at his other side, "It looked like it was going well, when we went past."

Triton ignored his siblings and just kept swimming.

Kym and Anteros shared a look, before swimming in front of Triton. Blocking him off.

"Tri what happened?" Kym asked softly, seeing the annoyed look on her brothers face.

"He called me a siren."

Anteros gasped and moved back slightly.

Kym on the other hand was fuming, "He called you a siren? That filthy walker! Who does he think he is? I'll grab his fin-less ear and drag him down and throw him to the Octoleí. I'll let them do what they want! It'd what he deserves!"

Anteros stared at Kym wide-eyed.

Triton looked at his sister, "He's afraid of water."

Kym grinned and rubbed her hands together.

Triton continued on, "He was terrified that I would push him in." He matched his younger sisters grin. "Would be a shame if he were to fall in."

"Tragic," Kym said happily.

Anteros just looked between his siblings, utterly gobsmacked.

Triton saw the look on his brother's face and his grin fell, "No we can't do that."