Chapter Twenty-two

Thanatos leaned against a wall of the Underworld palace, waiting on Hecate for 'patrol' or lookout. It was basically just lookout.

They would go to one of the few places where a non-Underworld dweller can enter and guard it until the next set of gods come.

Despite what most would think the Underworld was actually quite easy to guard. It was huge yes, but it also had very few entrances and exits. You can't have many exits when there might be souls attempting to escape.

As far as the Underworld dwellers know, Olympus only knows of two entrance and exits points.

But anyway the Queens (Persephone and Amphitrite) wanted all entrances guarded.

That sounds hard.

Well it isn't.

Not many entrance points.

Many gods in Underworld.

Surely you can see the solution here. But if you can't it means that a couple gods are assigned to each entrance at regular intervals while still leaving enough time for rest and other things.

The gods had to have the majority of their essence in the Underworld, especially when on guard duty, and have to rest of their essence doing what they usually do. For example, Thanatos was leaning against a wall waiting for Hecate, but he was also in Greece where a hunting trip went wrong, in Australia where some Kangaroos decided to start throwing punches (or kicks for that matter). He was in many places but most of him was still waiting on a certain goddess of magic who was taking her sweet time.

Eventually the curly haired goddess came into his sight, making a beeline for him. She stopped in front of him with a childish grin on her face.

Thanatos could feel the dumb joke coming from a mile away, luckily he did and had time to prepare his sanity for it.

Hecate was almost bouncing where she stood, "Well it looks like I've come face to face with death."

Thanatos groaned and rolled his eyes before he could stop himself.

Hecate cackled and curled in on herself midair. Shaking in a ball at least 3 feet above the ground.

She used her magic for the weirdest things but Thanatos supposed thats how she showed individuality. Making terrible jokes, puns and using enough magic to dissolve every mortal within a 10 meter radius.

"Lets get moving," Thanatos said walking off towards the edge of the cliff the palace sat upon.

"Your face!" Hecate squealed. She hadn't quite managed to get her feet back on the ground. But that was fine by Thanatos, he planned to fly anyway. Whether she followed or not. He'd been waiting long enough.

Thanatos didn't bother to start flying before falling off the edge. Just letting himself fall for a second before twisting around and spreading his wings. They caught the air and Thanatos soared across the Underworld. Not particularly caring that he had left Hecate behind.

Said goddess of Magic appeared beside him, acting as if she was surfing across the air. The look was completed by the green fog at the feet in the shape and a board. "I was going to ask you for a lift you know," she called over after making a mock turn in the air. She dramatically held her hand out to Thanatos, "Death take me please."

Thanatos looked at her with a blank expression, "No." He continued flying on.

Hecate clutched her heart and fell over breaking through her magical fog. Disappearing along with it.

He faintly wondered where she had went before having to stop in mid-air.

Hecate had appeared directly in front of him. Sitting with her legs crossed upon a purple carpet. "Hey hows it goin'?"