Chapter Eighteen

Triton was swimming past the hostage building when he decided to go in. Just to see how many gods had been stupid enough to go near the water when their own gods had been disappearing.

As soon as he went in he could see another one being brought in.

"I see no one has turned you into a meal then," Electra snarled.

For some reason the bindings they were using were getting low in storage so they had to sacrifice the parts that were covering their mouths. Which meant dealing with the remarks of Electra and one of the other ones that they got down there. Triton didn't recognise them, short cropped hair, dark beard, sharp nose. But they kept spitting out insults that weren't really any good.

Triton didn't spare the goddess a glance, "Can't say I'd blame them if they tried. After all I am a snack."

Korigan, who had been bringing the lastest one in, laughed.

"Shut up sirens, once the other gods break us out I'll personally cut your heads off," Mr insult-wanna be of the land spat out.

All the merfolk in the area froze and turned to the offending god.

Triton actually turned around at that one, "And who are you going to kill exactly?"

"You," snarled the god.

"Hmm, and who are you? I'd like to know the name of the one who think they can kill me," Triton said, swimming closer.

"Deimos, the name is Deimos. God of Terror."

"Well Deimos, you won't be able to kill me," Triton said, slowly swimming around the god. He raised the gods chin up, "A lot worse than you have tried."

Triton began to swim away.

Deimos thrashed in his bindings to no avail. "Who do you think you are?"

Triton only turned his head back, "Does the name Pallas ring a bell?"

After a moment of silence Deimos' snarl fell away, the colour faded from his face. "Triton."

Triton gave him a cold grin, "Oh look, you do know me." He didn't look back again, just kept on swimming away. He was done there, he had only wanted to see how it was going anyway. But now they knew who he was and he didn't recognise many of them, only one or two. That also meant they were all younger than him. Most gods were but the one that were born after that after Athena made herself an enemy of the Sea all knew the tale.

Triton didn't like to think of it much.

His daughter, Pallas and Athena were good friends. They always fought for training, always said they would never hurt one another. But on that day, Pallas was distracted, why shouldn't she be? She had just gotten word that her cousin- a child of Anteros had died. She had been close with them. So she was distracted, Athena had offered her a spar to help take her mind off it. Athena knew she was distracted and still struck her with full force at a weak point in her armour. A fatal strike. Between two ribs. Close to the heart. Pallas died slowly and painfully all because of Athena, a goddess that she had put her trust in. Only to be struck down when she was grieving.

Most of the gods now would probably know Triton had reacted rather than what had happened. They were probably told that Pallas had attacked Athena too much and Athena had sttuck out in panic, accidentally killing the demigod. That was a lie. But what they had most likely been told about what happened afterwards was true. When Athena had called on Triton and told him what happened. He had acted out of grief and rage. He sunk the island without a care for any beings living on it and created an earthquake powerful enough to be felt across the opposite end of the world.