Chapter 10- A Marketplace Mishap

Dream smiled at the moon, doing his best to block out Tommy's chatter.  He and the young Brit were out on a supply run, headed down to the open air market for food.  They were less likely to be spotted there than a grocery store, according to Phil.  Techno told him in secret it was actually because it was easier to escape.  Dream could see how.  The canopies and winding mazes of stalls would make a perfect getaway.  Add the crushing crowds and they would most likely never be found.

The nights were cooling off rapidly, causing people to wear heavy sweaters and jeans.  Dream himself was wearing a simple green hoodie and jeans, nothing that would draw attention to himself.  The air smelled like spices and pork, making him inhale deeply.  People shouted and advertised their wares.  Couples strolled hand and hand, examining stalls.  The few parents with children let them run free, wasting their energy as to get a good nights sleep.

They stopped at multiple stalls and stands, spending their money generously.  The most recent heist had left them with a lot of funds to spare and they were running low on just about everything.  It was later at night and the marketplace was closing soon.  Dream thanked a merchant and pocketed some change, adding the bread to his bag. Tommy nudged him with an elbow.

"Is it just me or does she look familiar?"

Dream squinted through the thinning crowd to see a young girl with brown hair and black streaks at a jewelry stand.  She was examining a ruby necklace, conversing with the jeweler.  Her clothes were obviously expensive but didn't really stand out.  Something tickled the back of Dream's mind but he couldn't quite place it.

"A little, do you know her?"

"I think it's Karl and Quackity's daughter but I can't-"

A short, raven-haired man stepped up behind the girl and wrapped his arms around her.  She jumped and turned wrinkling her nose at him.  Another man with fluffy brown hair joined them.  He smiled and she nudged him in annoyance.  He held up his hands and said something before they melted back into the crowd together.  She rolled her blue-grey eyes and went back to the bracelet.

"Yep, that's Tiger."

"Wait, she was at that cafe!  The one you guys picked me up from!"

"Wait, that mean she's in my fan club," Tommy said, a mischievous smile taking up his face.  His eyes sparkled dangerously and he swiftly started weaving his way through the crowd.  Dream groaned and raced after him, his bag of purchases swinging from the crook of his arm.  Before he could catch up, Tommy slammed into the girl, sending them both to the ground.

"Sorry," he said, grimacing when she yelped in alarm and dropped the bracelet.  He dusted himself off and pushed himself to he feet, offering the girl a hand.  She took it, allowing herself to be pulled up.  Tommy handed her back the bracelet.

"It's alright, this crowd is vicious," she said with winning smile as she took the bracelet back.  Dream could feel the charm oozing out of her and got to Tommy.

"We've gotta go, sorry to bother you," he said, throwing Tommy a look.  He frowned a little and shrugged.  He turned to look back at the girl and saw she had gone ashen.  Her eyes flicked from Tommy to Dream and she gasped, stumbling back.

"D-d-dream," she stammered out.  Tommy grabbed Dream's wrist, his eyes going dark.  Phil had been helping teach Dream what to do if he was recognized, so he went along with it.

"Help me," he said desperately, his face twisting into fear and helplessness.  Tommy snarled and started dragging him away.  Tiger pulled out her phone as Tommy twisted away, pulling Dream with him.  He took off and Dream acted like he had no choice but to follow.  His eyes met with Tiger's one final time before they melded into the crowd.