Chapter 20- Calm Before the Storm

Nightmare put his head in his hands, massaging his temples with a silent groan.  The headache wasn't going away, but he needed to get this completely perfect, down to the exact details.

"Run this by me one more time," he said in a tired voice.  Corpse nodded, shuffling the papers around.  His mask was still haunting, but as the darkening sky invaded the room his masked eye glowed gently.  It was a cool effect and he was completely jealous.

"Techno and Phil will be the diversions at the Box, making the police think you're trying to get Eret out.  They'll flock over there and leave the White House somewhat unguarded.  You and Ranboo sneak in through the old serving door disguised as a chef and a waiter while Wilbur, Tommy, and Tubbo do a live broadcast in front of the prison itself.  Then, it'll switch to the two of you and you assassinate Schlatt.  Boom, city takeover."

"And you have the backup plan in place?"

"Yes Nightmare, it's all ready when you guys are.  Will that be soon?"

"Well, the L'Manburg independence is in a week, why not then?"

"That would work, and it would leave an impression for sure," he drawled, dropping the papers onto the table.  "Fundy was in contact a few days ago, he said Eret's been moved to his place for good."

"Well then we're all set," Nightmare said, leaning back in his seat.  "Thank you Corpse."

"Yeah, I wasn't really expecting to have to take action in this, I mainly just take care of the nitty gritty shit Eret doesn't have time for.  I'm no leader."

"Well you're doing wonderfully," Nightmare said truthfully.  Corpse's mask stretched into it's haunted smile, but Nightmare had grown used to it.  He had been around Corpse long enough to know he wasn't as scary as he first appeared.

"You flatter me.  I'll see you and the others tomorrow for final planning and the exact details?"

"Sounds good to me, we're pretty busy tonight."

"Oh yes, Phil was telling me about that earlier, have fun."

"Thanks Corpse, see you tomorrow."

He waved, going back to the papers at hand.  Nightmare suppressed a shiver, Corpse may not scare him but the amount he worked couldn't be healthy.  Nightmare quietly let himself out, taking his mask off in the elevator.  He swept through the lobby, not making eye contact with anyone.  HBomb waited outside, giving a simple greeting as Dream hopped into the back.

They talked easily on their way back to Dream's, having done this often.  Somehow, Dream had become the representative for the Sleepy Boys, but he wasn't complaining.  Doing something kept him from going crazy.  By the time they were back home Dream was recounting old stories from his high school years and HBomb was laughing along.  He dropped Dream off and he let himself in through the front door.

"Dream!  How'd it go," Phil called.  Dream smiled and collapsed into an armchair.

"It went well.  We're waiting for L'Manburg independence day before we put it into motion, and a finalizing meeting tomorrow night."

"Perfect.  I'm going to go get the boys up, it's almost time to go.  Can you get Will and Techno?"

"Yeah, but if Techno kills me you're paying for the funeral."

"Sounds good.  Thanks mate."

Dream hummed a response and pushed himself back up.  He followed Phil down the hall but split off to go get Wilbur.  Maybe he'd be easier than Techno.  Maybe.  Also, he would hopefully help him.  He nudged the door open with a soft creak and pushed inside.  Wilbur was out cold, snoring gently into his pillow.  Dream crept up to him and gently shook him awake.