Chapter 12

Maeve froze up; she didn't know how to react or what to say. He did her good, and she despised that. The nonchalant mask was long gone, her big girl's pants fell off, and her self-esteem shattered.
         "Wha-t, what do you mean?" Maeve stammered.
"I did hear your ringtone, although I didn't pay attention, I have a radio system inside the botanical glasshouse, and sometimes it plays random music, so I thought that was it." He explained confidently, and Maeve gulped.
        "Anyhow, I was thinking the other night why you behaved the way you did about that book. Then I presumed that it had to be your diary. Although it's adorable, you being secretive, writing down all your dark secrets, made me wonder, what could you possibly hide?" He continued talking, and his face shifted seductively.
         It was a game for him, and Maeve was involved even if she wasn't aware of it. She had to play along to take him off guard. Otherwise, he would never stop; he would bother her and see the flustered facial expressions she'd made every time. He seemingly fancied playing with her, seeing her being vulnerable. Maeve turned around, faced him, and smirked mischievously.
         "You want to know my dark secrets? What I'm hiding? Who I write about?" She expressed, tucking her hair behind her ear. He nodded, anticipating waiting for her to reveal him.
"I write about my dreams, naughty dreams that I have with... Antonio." She said sensually, witnessing his face drop.
          Maeve turned around, leaving him unsatisfied. She went outside the front entrance, looking after her friends. Ironically there were sitting under a tree near the tall windows of Mr. Jason's classroom.
"So, you were spying on me?" Maeve asked, coming at them and sitting down.
"Well, we wanted to see if you need any kinda help. You know, maybe sharing, like a threesome." Patricia said with a wink. Soojin snorted out loud. "Ya nasty girl," Maeve replied with slang.
          "What did you say? It seemed intense. Also, you are eye-fucking with the professor again." Soojin stated, glancing skeptically at Maeve.
"Just casuals, about the lecture, and so on." She lied even though she didn't want to lie; she had to.
         "You are compatible, though. I've read that your compatibility is medium, your sex is high, and your communication medium. So I would say 8/10. I've just read it on the internet." Patricia explained enthusiastically.
"Did you seriously search that up?" Maeve asked, rolling her eyes.
         "As long you were in there, she was reading everything out loud. I've learned so much for something that hasn't anything to do about me." Soojin complained playfully. Maeve laughed and chit-chatted with her friends.
         Kai and his friends went past them, greeted them, and sat under another tree. One of Kai's friends had a thing for Patricia; his name was Rishaan; he had a long black curly hairstyle and black eyes. He was a Hindu American, sweet and quiet guy.
         "Go talk to him. He's looking at you." Maeve whispered at Patricia. Her face was turning red, hesitating to do anything.
"Go on!" Soojin insisted and pushed her a little. "Oh my God, okay, okay!" She nagged and waved at Rishaan. Patricia left the girls to talk to Rishaan a little further away. "So, I'm the only one not having anyone," Soojin complained.
         "Have you seen how Kai's other friend looks at you?" Maeve ensured Soojin that Jerome, Kai's other friend, liked Soojin. Jerome was a tall African American guy with a short afro fade hairstyle, athletic and beautiful.
          "Oh my God, I know! I don't know what to do. He looks much like Omarion, although better, without his baby face." Soojin babbled.
"You are cracking me up, girl. Go get your man." Maeve said by winking at Soojin. "No, it's too early. Let's talk about something else. Oh! How about the thoughts I have been having lately about our professors? I've created this illusion and scenarios of them. Want me to tell you?" Soojin talked way too fast for Maeve to comprehend. Even though Maeve was about to open her mouth Soojin interrupted her.
           "So, I think Mrs. Xing was probably some Chinese empress in her past life. She has that empowering aura and persona. Then I think Ms. Huancahuari was an Inca princess in her past life; she looked very polished and had that I'm a princess attitude." Soojin explained; Maeve was staring at her thoughtfully. "What do you think of Mr. Naeem then?" She asked, and Soojin lighted up.
           "I think he was some entertainer for the pharaohs. Probably playing music, singing to them, or even performing as a comedian." She explained so passionately; her lively fabricated fantasy was fascinating.
           "I think Ms. Fawn looks like a live version of Pocahontas," Maeve said, and Soojin cheered. "That was what I was thinking too! So she was Pocahontas, the Native American chief's daughter in her past life." Soojin said, exhilarated. "How about the principal then?" Maeve asked, thinking for herself what sort of a past life he would have.
           "I think he was a Persian warrior. Who fought against King Leonidas." Soojin stated thoughtfully. "Mr. Alfsson then?" Maeve asked. "He was a Viking, brutal and all, and later on, he realized his mistakes and became mad," Soojin explained confidentially. Maeve hesitated to ask about him, but she gathered up all the courage she'd had left inside of her and took a deep breath before asking.
           "How about Mr. Jason?" She finally asked carefully.
"Isn't it obvious? Aphrodite's and Adonis's son, duh." Soojin answered, staring weirdly at Maeve as if she should be aware of the matter. "So he was a demi-god in his previous life?" Maeve asked confusingly.
           "I repeat myself, isn't it obvious?!" Soojin expressed tiresomely. Maeve laughed and glanced at Patricia and Rishaan, who were talking alone. "Oh, our little girl is in love," Soojin said sweetly.
           "So, you are the mom in this group?" Maeve chuckled. "It makes sense; your zodiac sign is Cancer, a family-oriented star sign." She continued, and Soojin nodded.
"And you are definitely, the father, dominance, and stubbornness. A true Lion." Soojin explained, and Maeve grinned. "Sure, I can be the father then. But Patricia is a horny teenager, and I don't want her to run around with that guy, woman." Maeve jokingly said, deepening her voice to sound like a man.
            Soojin laughed out loud. "I have bad news for you; she's a Scorpio," Soojin said, grinning. "Oh, that explains a lot," Maeve stated, scratching her head. "Yeah, passionate, romantic, horny, sex, that's a Scorpio for you. Although I think Patricia is a virgin." Soojin expressed, and that caught Maeve off guard.
           "What makes you think of that?" She asked carefully. "Well, she's acting like one," Soojin replied, shrugging. "You can recognize that from just looking at someone?" Maeve was eager. Soojin glimpsed at Maeve, questioning her statements.
"Oh, no, you can't be!" Soojin responded, shocked after two seconds. Maeve smiled sheepishly.              "I mean good for you. I lost mine with a guy who was a jerk. I moved on, but I regret it." Soojin explained, unbothered. Maeve didn't know what to say, so she nodded and gave Soojin a sympathetic glance.
            Maeve then glanced at the windows noticing Mr. Jason talking to the phone. He was standing near the window, talking, smiling big. Jealousy was starting to boil up inside Maeve, and she hated it. He leaned against the window looking outside, still talking on the phone when their eyes suddenly met. His smile disappeared; he then glanced away. Maeve felt like she needed to settle some things. So she excused herself, got up, and left.
           Stomping inside his classroom, he was still speaking on the phone. He was talking in Greek; Maeve didn't understand anything, only heard the word, Mariah. Her blood froze; she cleared her throat loud enough for him to turn around.
           "Hey, I have to hang up. Bye." He said rapidly and hung up, placing his phone in his pocket pants. "I was thinking, why on earth were you at the library at 2 AM that day we talked? You never told me." Maeve asked, trying to think of a way to ask him anything at this point and to learn more about him even though she didn't understand why she did it in the first place.
           "I couldn't sleep. So I go read then." He said casually and crossed his arms. "Is that what you do in your free time?" Maeve asked in a judging way.
"Well, what can I say? I love to read. I'm the school's librarian too, so I think that's too." He said by raising an eyebrow.
           "A creepy one, though. Lurking around in the darkness with a candle at 2 AM." Maeve nagged, and he rolled his eyes. "What do you want, Maeve?" He asked, staring bored at her. However, every time he called out her name, her belly simmered.
         "What is your real name?" She asked, which was a sincere question; she wanted to internet stalk him the other day and couldn't find him on Facebook. "Iason is a nickname; my real name is Iasonas. But if you are going to anoint me, you say Iasona." He explained, then questionably gazed at her though. "Why are you asking? Are you going to stalk me on the internet?" He continued, and Maeve shook her head. "No, I was only wondering." She lied, standing there staring at him.
          "What do you want to ask now?" He asked, grinning at her.
"I know the other professors living in the apartment beside the sorority house. But is the bungalow your home?" She asked, feeling like he seemed to be an introvert.
          "Curious cat, aren't you? You guessed correctly, though I don't want to see you near my home, please." He said with an attitude.
            "Okay, I'm sorry that I bothered you." She said, turning around and leaving the room. "You can bother me whenever you want," He said behind her back, although Maeve left without answering or reacting. Yet her heart pounded harder than usual, and she loathed that he transmitted that effect on her.