Prologue

It was a foggy Thanksgiving night with a bright full moon. The stars were shining like tiny diamonds up in the sky, even if it was pitch dark. On the Texas road, highway 49, a lonely car was driving by. Both sides of the road were woodland. There were no traffic lights, and it was an eerie calmness around the road. No animals nor sounds were coming from the woods. Inside the car, a daughter and a mother were driving home after a big Thanksgiving feast.
               The daughter, a 15-year-old with long brown curly hair and upturned-shaped hazel eyes, was tired and irritated from the family gathering they had. She was studying the trees through the car window and was grumpy. Her mother, a Jamaican woman in her mid-forties with black braids and strong face characteristics, tried to figure out how to break the awkward silence between them while driving.
               "So, how was your day?" Mrs. Williams asked, hoping to break the ice and her daughter's aggressive attitude. The daughter sighed, giving her mother a side-eye.
"You know how much I hate going to this kind of family feast." Her daughter muttered, rolling her eyes.
"Maeve, please stop with your irritable attitude. I'm simply trying to have a conversation with you," Complained Mrs. Williams, and her hopes of possibly cheering Maeve up failed miserably.
               On the other hand, Maeve ignored that her mother tried hard to have a peaceful conversation. Instead, she looked up in the sky and admired the beautiful full moon and its glory. Finally, her mother exhaled loudly enough to bother Maeve, who couldn't hold back.
               "Why can't you understand that I don't like being with my aunt and my wicked little cousins?" She nagged, crossing her arms.
Mrs. Williams looked at her daughter for a moment, and then without answering, she stared back at the empty, long, and dim road in front of her.
              "I don't want to argue, but it's your family. Deal with it." She explained after a whole minute of silence.
"Well, why does dad skip all of this and not me? Isn't he family too?" Maeve fought back, hoping to win this conflict.
"Your father is a homicide detective and is currently at work today, and you know that. Also, you know how hard I worked to get a day off from work!" Mrs. Williams fought back harder, and Maeve glimpsed away. She knew deep inside that her mother was correct, but she won't admit it. She also knew how hard her mother worked as a nurse and how tough it was to get a day off. Feeling guilty, Maeve looked down at her arms.
                  Her ripped jeans and the mahogany sweatshirt were rolled up, showing her skin. She noticed how the brightness of the moon made her skin glow up. Her beautiful light-skinned skin appeared illuminating in this light. Maeve glanced at her mother, who always wore the same boring outfit, a plain white shirt and mom jeans. Only this time, Maeve admired how gorgeous her dark brown skin lid up from the full moon too.
                 Abruptly her mother widened her eyes and furrowed her eyebrows. Maeve glanced at the road; she detected a tall, dark broad figure facing them. Mrs. Williams steered the car quickly to the left and crashed into a tree.
                Everything became blank; Maeve's body was aching from the bruises. She could only hear her heartbeat and rapid breathing from the adrenaline and shock—her mother grunted and groaned in pain. Finally, Mrs. William's grabbed the seat belt, unbuttoned it, and turned toward Maeve.
               "Maeve, are you alright?" She held her daughter's heart-shaped face and examined if she had any fractures or other crucial bruises. Maeve didn't reply, although she nodded to her mother's statement.
"Stay in the car, baby. I'm going out to check what on earth that was." Then, brave enough, Mrs. Williams stepped outside the car. Maeve was aware of her surroundings but felt light-headed and distressed.
                She heard her mother speaking to someone. However, she couldn't figure out what they talked about. Then, suddenly, she heard a body drop to the ground, and complete silence after that. Terrified enough, she opened her eyes slowly.
                 It was pitch dark, and the only light source there was the moon. She could see all the trees tact in along and their reflecting shadows on the ground. Maeve wanted to shout out for her mother, yet she thought it was a bad idea for a weird reason.
                She unbelted her seatbelt and stepped outside the car; her eyes were starting to adjust in the dark, and she could see much more precisely. She turned towards the road, although there was no one there. She then turned around and walked deep inside the forest.
                Afraid and shivered, she walked about 5 feet from the crashed car. Maeve saw a dark figure sitting on the ground, leaning towards what seemed like a human body. She heard sucking noises and stepped closer. The figure stopped quickly and turned around, facing her. Maeve became petrified as she realized that the body on the ground was her mother. She detected her mother's white shirt, stained with blood.
                The tall figure who looked back at Maeve had two sharp upper teeth, including bright yellow eyes. Maeve was about to shout out loud out of terror; however, the tall figure supernationally quickly prevented her by grabbing her face and putting its hand on her mouth.                   Maeve feared for her life. The tall figure smiled at her mischievously and pulled her hair away, exposing her neck. Then she felt a sharp pain in her neck. The sucking noises became familiar to her once again. This figure, whatever it was, human or animal, was drinking her blood. Maeve slowly but surely started to lose consciousness.
                Someone or something pushed the figure away from her. Maeve slipped to the ground and was motionless. "What on earth are you doing?!" Someone shouted and went closer to Maeve to check on her. She couldn't see him clearly, although she did realize that it was a man.
               "I was hungry, okay?" The tall figure answered nonchalantly.
"You killed a woman, and now you almost killed this girl!" The man shouted furiously at the tall figure. Maeve tried to crawl into her mother's body. Yet, her own body didn't respond and failed miserably.
                "It's a full moon, and I'm utterly hungry. Leave me alone!" The tall figure pecked, sounding like a young man, probably in his teens. Maeve tried to look at the two figures standing 2 feet above her. But, since it was unclear, she could only see shadows and their body shapes. Both of them were tall and broad-shouldered. She noticed that the one who drank her blood had a darker shade of hair color than the other.
                The men started to argue. Maeve thought this was her chance to crawl to her mother without them noticing. At first, she struggled but eventually crawled to her mother's unconscious body.
                 Dreadfully, Maeve understood that Mrs.Williams was dead. She didn't have a heartbeat or a pulse whatsoever. Maeve broke down, howled, and sobbed. She was shaking her mother, not as hard as she wished because of her dizziness. Maeve screamed at the top of her lungs. The pain, the sorrow, was unbearable.
               She forgot about everything in her surroundings and was grieving. Her mobile phone was in the car, and it was too late to call her father. She cried unstoppably. Nevertheless, her pain turned into a wave of sudden anger, into vengeance. Lying with her head on top of her mother's dead body, she turned around. Frustrated and enraged, she darted at the two men staring back at her.
                 It might've been dark, though she could notice them. She shouted all kinds of nasty cursing she could think of to show her wrath. Then, finally, the man with the lighter hair color came supernationally quickly, seized her by her wrist, and lifted her. Maeve tried to fight him off, but he was too strong.
               "Stop fighting, and let me help you." He whispered to her, which felt like a promise. His voice felt almost like a feather that brushed her cheek. She couldn't keep her balance due to her weakness and blood loss.
                  She crumbled, to her knees, staring back at him. He was still holding her wrist up in the air, and he leaned down to her. She scanned his face and tried her best to remember it. If she got out of this alive, she had to recognize his face, facial features, and everything about the accident. Therefore she could, later on, report the police.
                To her surprise, though, he was beautiful. He had an oval face shape, a stubbed beard, was in his mid-thirties, and a straight nose and thin lips. He was caucasian with mesmerizing bright round icy blue eyes. His hair was straight with medium length, and his hair color was dark blonde. Maeve memorized everything by examining him. 
               "Look in my eyes, dear." He whispered in his deep husky voice.
"You will not get away with this. I will always remember your face, your eyes, everything!" She replied as he smirked.
              "You will never remember this. You will forget all of it. It was a bad accident—nothing else. No one else was here. It was only your mother and you." So stated the dark blonde man, and the last thing Maeve remembered was those icy blue eyes before she fell and lost consciousness.

The dark blonde man let her wrist slowly. She dropped to the ground beside her mother's dead body.
"Great, now that you've cleared that up, let's leave." His adoptive son with his black slicked-back hair said, unbothered as if nothing had occurred.
              "I'm so sick and tired of your misbehavior! You should be the one cleaning up all the evidence here. Not me. But you suck at that too!" He yelled as he stood above the bodies.
"Dad, just do what you're best at doing." His son nagged, and the father gave him the stink eye.
"Yeah, cleaning up your messes." He said ironically, and his son gazed at him.
"Your words, not mine." His son replied and shrugged. 
               The father sighed, took some gloves out of his pockets, and wore them. He also had other equipment to ensure all their DNA was wiped off from the surroundings. He made sure that all traces of their existence were gone and that this whole thing looked like a bad accident, nothing else.
               He checked on the girl and lifted her by grabbing her arm to look under her. Then, he leaned down to see any traces of his hair or his adoptive son's DNA particles. When he finished cleaning everything up, he let her gently down.
             As he was doing that, he heard sirens from far away. He became stunned. His son ran away, and in a hurry, he let her arm quickly, and her fingers slightly touched the tip of his hair. He left without being aware that one strand of hair fell slowly down to the ground, leaving traces of him.