When Time Stood Still

The sun streamed in through the window, gently waking up a young girl who was feeling far from cheerful. I can't believe he's leaving tomorrow, she thought to herself, her mood reflecting her sombre thoughts. I don't want him to go. I love him so much. Why can't he just stay here with me like before?

"Sakura? Are you okay?" A yellow plush toy with wings, named Kero, asked her with a concerned expression. Sakura looked up at him, her eyes brimming with tears.

"Kero, what am I going to do?" Sakura's voice trembled as she spoke.

"Please, stop crying, Sakura. Everything will turn out just fine, you'll see," Kero said, doing his best to lift Sakura's spirits.

Kero had learned over the last three years how to identify when Sakura was upset about a certain someone—usually a boy. He had been Sakura's constant companion through her trials and tribulations, always there to lend a listening ear and provide comfort.

Sighing, Kero watched helplessly as Sakura wept on her bed, unsure of how to mend the young girl's aching heart beyond being a supportive presence. Glancing over at Sakura's phone, Kero decided to take matters into his own tiny hands. He flew over to the phone and dialled a number.

Once he had finished with the call, Kero returned to Sakura's side, curling up next to her as he stayed by her side. He listened to Sakura's cries and mumbled words amid her sobs, unable to shake the feeling of sadness that had settled upon his plush shoulders. Kero knew that his Card Mistress needed him now more than ever.

Kero's thoughts were interrupted by the bedroom door opening and someone walking into the room. Kero looked up from where he was lying and smiled at the person that had entered.

"Kero. How is she?" A young female voice sounded worried for her friend.

"Not good, Tomoyo. She just won't stop crying since she woke up this morning," Kero answered, still lying next to Sakura.

Tomoyo frowned a little at the news. She didn't like to see her friend upset about anything.

"Thank you, Kero, for calling me. I appreciate it very much," Tomoyo thanked Kero as she walked towards a quietly sobbing Sakura.

Kero flew to the other side of the bedroom, allowing the two girls privacy to talk.

"Sakura, I'm here for you. Please talk to me. Please tell me why you are so sad," Tomoyo pleaded softly, kneeling next to Sakura's bed.

The young girl peeled her face off her pillow, her cheeks stained with tears. Sakura's eyes were swollen and red from crying, and her voice trembled as she spoke. "Tomoyo. What am I going to do? I'm pretty sure Syaoran wants to make us official, but that means being in a long distance relationship! I'm not sure if I can handle being apart for so long."

Tomoyo gazed at Sakura with a mix of sympathy and understanding. "I know, Sakura. It's a tough situation, but remember, sometimes the hardest decisions lead to the most beautiful outcomes." Sakura nodded, absorbing her friend's words. With a deep breath, she sat up and wrapped her arms around Tomoyo, her gratitude evident in the tight embrace. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice filled with sincerity and a growing sense of resolve.

-----

The day resumed its normal rhythm once Sakura had managed to regain her composure. She and Tomoyo decided to spend some time at the mall and then venture to the park afterward. Tomoyo couldn't resist a few giggles as she occasionally caught Sakura lost in thought, still wrestling with the weight of her earlier conversation. Tomoyo understood that Sakura needed time to decipher the significance of her response to Syaoran's question, and she had faith that Sakura would eventually arrive at a decision.