1

"So you're saying that I can marry whomever I like as long as they come from a respectable family and won't threaten the monarchy?"

"For the last time, Hyunjin, yes," Hwang Taeho or His Majesty, rubbed his forehead, groaning in exasperation at his son.

Hwang Hyunjin raised an eyebrow. "I don't believe you,"

"Hyunjin, son," Ko Gowoon or Her Majesty to others said gently. "I know you must be feeling very doubtful of us now, but your father and I have discussed it very well and we reckon it's not fair on your behalf if we choose your partner. You won't be happy, and that's the last thing that we want,"

"I still don't understand why I have to marry someone anyway," The Prince muttered although his parents had heard. "I'm only 21!"

"I know, I know," The King said grimly. "But officials are getting persistant that you obey the old law, and there's nothing I can do to go against it. For God's sake, we got married due to that law,"

Taeho gestured towards himself as well as Gowoon. Despite the fact that it was the old law that had brought them together, anyone could tell that the two were in love. Their son, on the other hand, scowled.

"I'll think about it,"

"You can't just think about it," Gowoon sighed. "You're going to have to find someone. And I don't care who it is as long as it isn't the daughter of the Governor of Incheon. That girl acts as if she owns the city,"

"She technically does," Taeho mumbled, laughing nervously as his wife glared at him.

 "And what if I choose someone who isn't one of the Governors' daughters?" Hyunjin questioned. "Or of royal blood? You won't mind?"

"The law doesn't state that you have to marry anyone of high status," The King hummed thoughtfully. "As long as- "

"They are of a respectable family and won't threaten the monarchy," Hyunjin recited. "Yes, I know,"

His mother made a face, softening at her son whose expression mirrored that of a cold one. "Hyunjin, love, I know this is the last thing you want, but think about it. This is so that you can be approved for the throne! To rule!"

Hyunjin said nothing at first instead bowing respectfully towards his parents. "I need to talk to the boys,"

...

"So, you can marry whoever you want as long as they are from a respectable family, don't threaten the monarchy and isn't the daughter of the Governor of Incheon?" Han Jisung held up his palms, jazz-hands style. "Oh, you're screwed mate!"

"Why not the daughter of Incheon?" Bang Chan questioned. "She's pretty,"

"Mum doesn't like her," The Crown Prince muttered as he watched three of his other friends, Lee Minho, Kim Seungmin and Seo Changbin, play billiards. "Says she's lacking in manners,"

"There's got to be someone that you can marry," The youngest of the group of eight murmered. "How about the daughter of the Governor of Busan? I know her, she's quite nice,"

"She also has a boyfriend," Seungmin pointed out as the younger boy flushed. "I don't think he'd be particularly happy if Hyunjin took his girlfriend,"

"What about the Korean Embassy Ambassador's daughter?" Felix tried towards the Prince who shook his head.

"She's too loud,"

"Prime Minister's daughter?" Minho suggested.

"She likes Chan hyung. For God's sake, I don't want to get married!"

Chan's cheeks were tinted with pink as the rest of the boys smirked. The last time that the Prime Minister's daughter had come to the palace, she had been glued towards the older boy, and he had been highly uncomfortable with the amount of praises she had been giving him.

"Actually," Jisung began, his mind whirring as the thought of one person drifted into his head, cogs clicking into place. "I think I have an idea of who should marry Hyunjin,"

"Who?" Changbin asked, eyes wide as he stared at the squirrel-like boy with curiosity. "Who could marry Hyunjin?"

"Um, Jeongin, please don't kill me for saying this,"

"Why would I- "

"Han Jisung," Chan turned to the said boy who smiled almost sheepishly. "You'd better not be thinking about the person I'm thinking of,"

"If the person you're thinking of is Yang Jarim, then yes, I am,"

A silence descended upon the room as the eight boys took in the full extent of Jisung's words. 

"No," Jeongin hissed. "Hyung is not marrying my sister,"

"Jeongin, hear him out first," Minho settled a hand upon the fox-eyed boy's shoulder, but he shook the older off.

"No hyung," He said through gritted teeth. "I'm not letting my sister marry Hyunjin hyung,"

"Why?" The Prince drew the attention back on him once more as the two boys stared. "Why can't I marry your sister?"

"W-well, you barely even know her!" Jeongin spluttered. "And, she's too busy studying at university, preparing for exams,"

"Jeongin," The oldest said gently. "We understand that this is Jarim that we're talking about, but she's also the only person who would fit in with what the King and Queen want, and maybe even what Hyunjin wants,"

At Chan's statement, Hyunjin let out a "Tch,".

"Exactly," Seungmin agreed. "Jarim is sweet and kind and she's gentle. She's well-mannered, not to mention the fact that she comes from a respectable family. You two are the kids of the Marshal of the Royal Air Force!"

Jeongin still had a rather irritated look on his face. It was hard to blame him. This was his sister's life, and she didn't even know about it!

"I'll ask her," He said sourly, not looking at his hyungs who had quite the victorious looks on their faces. "But I don't know what she'll say,"

"You go ask her, Jeongin," Minho smirked slightly. "And we'll wait for her answer,"

AUTHOR'S NOTE

hi there, i'm back with a new book which is a hwang hyunjin fanfic (royalty au)

i do not own any of stray kids or their personalities and this is purely fiction.

i do hope that you will enjoy this book as it comes alive and maybe even check out my other fanfics ;)

i hope you're doing well and i hope that y'all are safe

take care

xx