30

Yang Jarim was stuck on a question.

No, it wasn't an engineering question, and it wasn't a maths question either. It was a question Jarim didn't know whether she wanted the answer to.

What was going to happen to her?

It had been around two months since Hyunjin and herself had been crowned King and Queen of South Korea, and so far, everything had been in order.

They had made a few visits to the neighbouring countries of China and Japan, and their next trips were being planned, but it was in the midst of all the going-ons of the palace that Jarim had faintly remembered the agreements her and Hyunjin had struck.

The Marriage Contract.

The boy had told her that within six months of their marriage, he was to divorce her and continue as the monarch by himself. 

As Jarim sat in the library, contemplating everything, she did not notice a figure sidling up to her.

"What'chu doing?" Yang Jeongin slipped into the seat besides her, startling the girl a little.

"Just... thinking," The older answered, smoothing out the pages of her book. "What brings you here?"

"Technically, I was visiting the hyungs," Jeongin glanced briefly at the title of the book. "But I got bored and decided to go see you? Is it true that you don't ever leave this library?"

"I would live in this library if I could," Jarim declared, dramatically. "I mean, what more could anyone want than books?"

"Oh I don't know, Wifi?" Jeongin muttered, sarcasm dripping in his words. "Seriously noona, if it wasn't for Hyunjin hyung dragging you out of this room every day, then I doubt you would be seen at public events,"

At the mention of her husband's name, Jarim's heart pounded a little faster than she would have liked. "Where is Hyunjin?" She asked.

"In his office with Jisung and Minho hyung, third-wheeling," Jeongin replied, casually. "Have you not seen him?"

"I-No, I was busy," Jarim mumbled, returning to her novel.

Jeongin analysed his big sister. He could easily sense her anxiety levels rising, and the sheer discomfort that something was causing her was rather obvious.

"Noona," The boy asked gently. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, of course I am," The female Yang said in a rather high-pitched tone. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because you're tapping your fingers really fast on the table," Jeongin pointed out the mannerism. "And, your playing with your ring. Noona, tell me what's going on. Did you and Hyunjin hyung have a fight?"

"No, no, we didn't fight, nothing like that," Jarim fidgeted with the hem of her sleeve, not quite meeting her younger brother's eye. "It's just..."

"It's just what?"

The female released a heavy sigh. "You remember the Marriage Contract? Well, Hyunjin said that we'd only be married for six months, and after he gets the crown, he'll divorce me, right?"

At the mention of the Contract, Jeongin's facial expression faltered although he kept listening. "Go on,"

"Well," Jarim shut her eyes. "It's been two months since the coronation, and I don't know if he's going to divorce me, if he's going to continue with it,"

Jarim's mind was in pure conflict as she let out what had been bothering her.

"And, I've grown to really care for him. Heck, you could even call it love! I just can't let him go, Jeongin, I can't,"

Jeongin softened at his sister's agitated mind. She had always been an overthinker.

"Noona," He began slowly. "How have you and Hyunjin hyung been in the last few months?"

Jarim frowned. "Good, he's busy, but we see each other every night, and he always asks how my day has been, and if I've eaten and tells me stories of when he was younger and- "

"Hyunjin hyung cares for you noona!" Jeongin flashed a grin towards her, who looked confused.

"How d'you- "

"Because not only does he care about your day, we've all seen the looks he gives you, the looks that reminiscise someone who is in love," Jeongin smirked. "I don't think he'd be divorcing you anytime soon,"

"But what if he does!" Jarim whispered, and the boy's heart broke at how vulnerable she sounded. "I don't know what I would do,"

"Then talk to him," Jeongin said quietly. "The most important thing in any relationship is communication. Tell him your concerns and work something out,"

The girl was silent for a minute, contemplaing her brother's solution. Without warning, she wrapped her arms around her sibling, and the brother and sister stayed in the position for a few minutes, content in each other's arms.

"Thank you, Jeongin-ie," Jarim said, softly. "I don't know what I'd do without you,"

"I'm just returning the favour," The younger Yang dismissed. "You've always helped me and Jinhyuck out, and it's about time I helped you,"