23

"The two of you may be wondering why we've asked you for a meeting today," Queen Gowoon beamed at her son and daughter-in-law, whom she noticed was sitting a little distant from Hyunjin.

A little over a month had passed since Jarim had met up with Bae Jiwoo. Three months had passed since she had been wed with the beloved Prince of South Korea.

Things were going considerably well. Jarim had continued with her engineering course with Miss Oh being her teacher, and her mother-in-law was still giving her lessons in the art of being the perfect future Queen. The King had also taken Jarim out to grant her a private tour of his racing tracks and race the cars himself. She was also spending a lot more time with Sora and the rest of the boys.

One thing hadn't changed. 

Hyunjin giving her the cold-shoulder.

The Prince had practically been avoiding her, and she had done the same. Even when they spoke or appeared at functions, they acted indifferent, feigned smiles plastered on their faces as they tried to appear as the 'loving couple' they were.

Jarim would disappear into the library when she wasn't with either the boys or Sora, and Hyunjin was far more concerned over completing documents and meeting with dignitaries. It was the perfect way to keep away from each other.

However, despite the lack of emotion that the two royals showed, both of them were hurting inside. 

Jarim and Hyunjin wanted nothing more than to talk, to show their concern for each other, yet their egos prevented them from doing so.

"Now, as you might have heard, rumours have been going around the palace that I am going to be passing the throne and the crown to Hyunjin within a few months," King Taeho exchanged a warm-hearted smile with his wife. "It is true,"

A few of the dignitaries inside the room gasped lightly, and some looked impressed. Others looked surprised but slowly, each of them began to clap, some dipping their heads in respect of the royal's decision.

"I have been ruling even before my Father passed," The King declared. "I have enjoyed playing my part of keeping the grand nation of South Korea one of the world's prides, but my time is coming to a close. Hyunjin is younger, and I feel as though he is ready to take on this position,"

"Your Majesty," One of the women in the room piped up. "When do you plan the passing of the crown?"

"Within one month," Gowoon proclaimed. "We will, of course, hold the grandest of ceremonies to declare Hyunjin's leadership,"

"And His Highness has been aware of this?" Another man asked, scribbling something on his paper. "Prince Hyunjin, you have been aware that the crown is to be passed to you?"

"Yes," Hyunjin confirmed. "I have been busy with sorting out documents regarding the matter,"

"And what will be Her Highness Princess Jarim's duty after His Highness is crowned?" Another dignitary questioned. 

Hyunjin turned to face his wife, and for the first time within a month, he gave a soft smile towards Jarim. 

"Both my wife as well as Queen of South Korea,"

...

"I really can't believe it," Sora placed a hand on her heart as she fell back onto the four-poster bed. "My best friend who loves cheesy romantic comedies, cannot watch horror for dear life and finds Maths fun is becoming the Queen of South Korea!"

"Maths is fun," Jarim pointed out. "At least, when you understand it,"

"They've broadcasted it on the television, you know," Sora pulled out her phone, scrolling through the numerous articles that had been released. "And social media is going crazy over it,"

"I know," Jarim muttered. "I've seen,"

"So when's the coronation?"

"They want it to be done next month," Jarim explained. "From tomorrow onwards, all attention will be focused on the coronation and Hyunjin's rise as King,"

Sora glanced at her best friend, who was fiddling with the hem of her sleeve. "Are you nervous?"

The engineering student chuckled. "'Course I am, who wouldn't be? But, I took on this role, and I have to help him no matter what, right?"

Sora said nothing, instead choosing to look around the bedroom shared by Hyunjin and Jarim. 

"I love this photo," She commented, admiring the picture taken during the carriage ride after the wedding. "You look so happy, both of you do,"

Jarim smiled softly. "Yeah, it's my favourite,"

As her best friend walked around the room, eyes scanning the ornate pieces in the chamber, Jarim decided to interrogate the girl.

"So what's going on with you and Changbin?"

Sora froze at the question earning a tinkling laugh from the other girl.

"We're just - friends," Sora answered. 

"Yeah, sure, because friends take each other on dates and press kisses to each other's cheeks all the time, do they?"

"You know, if you're jealous," Sora smirked. "We could always proceed with our plan to Monaco,"

"And live off of fruits?"

"Yup," Sora replied, popping the 'p'. "What d'you think?"

"Thanks for the offer, but I think Hyunjin would kill me if I ditched him to join you in Monaco," Jarim tilted her head as she leaned back in the bed. 

"But seriously, what's going on with you and Changbin? It's so obvious that you like each other? What's stopping you?"

Sora let out a sharp breath. "Nothing's stopping us, we're just... waiting,"

Jarim frowned. "For what?"

"I don't know,"

Sounded a lot like her love life.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

sounds a lot like my own love life :(

hope y'all are doing well

i miss hyunjin

take care and stay safe 

xx