9

"Oh, I can rest in peace now that I know Hyunjin's married," The Queen lay a hand upon her heart as she and her husband stood besides the newly wedded couple.

The wedding had been a success, the reception had been exuberant and a majority of the citizens of South Korea, who'd watched the wedding being broadcasted on national television, had expressed their joy at their beloved Prince being married. Of course, there were a few who had been slightly disappointed at Hyunjin's marriage, but there was nothing they could really do.

The guests had happily enjoyed the five-course meal and they had relished the fun they had at the royal wedding.

However, it wasn't much later that the guests began to trickle out, leaving only the new couple, the Senior Royals as well as a few of Hyunjin's best friends in the ballroom. The attendants were already clearing everything up, leaving no trace that a royal wedding had just taken place.

"Mum," Hyunjin muttered as Jarim gave an awkward sort of smile towards her new mother-in-law. 

"What?" Gowoon asked defensively. "Your father and I weren't particularly fond of the old law, but seeing that you've married Jarim and not the daughter of the Governor of Incheon, I'm pleased,"

"Um, what's wrong with the daughter of the Governor of Incheon?" Jarim whispered towards the King who held back a laugh.

"Gowoon says that she lacks manners," He responded, equally as quiet.

"Right," Gowoon glanced at the expensive timepiece that sat delicately on her wrist. "It's nearly 11PM, and the two of you must have had an exhausting day, get to bed. Jarim-ah, Hyunjin will show you the way to his room,"

"H-hyunjin's room?" The girl choked. 

King Taeho frowned. "Who else's?"

"R-right, I forgot," Jarim inwardly cursed herself.

"Anyways," Gowoon sent a cheeky grin towards her daughter-in-law and Hyunjin, the latter of whom did not look amused. "Have a wonderful night. See you in the morning,"

With a wave from the two older royals, Taeho and Gowoon left, leaving the newly wedded couple in their wake.

"Right," Hyunjin mumbled. "Come this way,"

Jarim followed the Prince in silence as they climbed the grand staircase, weaving through a series of coridoors, and Jarim wondered how she was going to remember where on Earth her room was.

Hyunjin pushed open the door, and tried to ignore the feeling that tonight, he would not be sleeping alone. 

Jarim's eyes widened at the high ceilings and intricate chandelier that hung above them. The curtains were blood red in rich silk and in the middle, against a wall, was a grand, four-poster bed. 

"The attendants have already put your clothes inside the wardrobe," Hyunjin cleared his throat to bring Jarim's attention towards him as he opened one of the cabinets, the clothes that had been purchased from her, Gowoon and her mother's shopping trip being inside.

"Right," Jarim nodded. "Thank you,"

The two stood in yet another awkward silence, neither meeting each other's eyes. 

"D-d'you want to get changed?" Jarim asked tentatively as the Prince's dark, cold eyes flickered up towards her. 

"Yeah, you can use the en-suite," Hyunjin pointed towards the door at the side of the room, which Jarim hadn't even noticed was there.

She opened the cabinet containing her clothes, and winced at the playful nightdresses that lined the rack. Her eyes flitted around for something more covering, and opted for a pair of navy blue pyjamas, hidden away at the back.

As Jarim disappeared into the bathroom, Hyunjin loosened his tie, bringing out a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie to wear as he too changed out of the suit that he'd been in for the last couple of hours.

Once Jarim had re-entered the room, she found the Prince awkwardly waiting at the foot of the bed.

It was then that a thought ran through both of their minds.

Sleeping arrangements.

"Er, what side of the bed- " Jarim was cut off by Hyunjin's quick input.

"Right. You can take left,"

"Can - can we put a few pillows in the middle?" Jarim asked softly. 

Without answering, Hyunjin grabbed a few of the decorative pillows on his bed and placed them in a line, straight down the middle of the bed, separating the two.

The Prince switched the light off, and the couple were engulfed into darkness, and Jarim surpressed a laugh.

She'd always thought that her wedding night was to be with someone who cared for her, yet here she was, lying next to the Prince who couldn't care less for his new wife.

But, you do care for him, Jarim thought to herself, ignoring the miserable feeling rising inside her gut.

"G-goodnight, Hyunjin," She whispered softly into the night.

"Mmm, 'night,"

AUTHOR'S NOTE

apologies for the short chapter

it's their wedding night, and we've found out that jarim does care for the prince, and she will try to take care of him for however long their marriage lasts ;)

how are you enjoying this book so far?

is it good? 

take care and stay safe

xx