24

"Your Highness, the National Assembly have sent these documents forward, they wish for you to sign it,"

The advisor slid the file towards the Prince, whose eyes scanned it with boredom. 

"Tell them I'll have it reviewed by next Friday," He ordered, and nodding, the advisor scuttled off, leaving the Prince with only his thoughts.

After the meeting with the numerous dignitaries in the palace, his parents as well as Jarim, Hyunjin had been left ever so slightly impatient.

His Father had already given him the go-ahead to be crowned as King of South Korea, and now all the boy could do was wait.

And he didn't want to wait.

It had also been surprising when he had told the entire chamber that Jarim would be Queen of South Korea with a smile on his face.

The first time he had smiled at her in a month.

"May I come in?"

Hyunjin's eyes glanced up to see his wife peeking through the doorway, looking slightly nervous as he beckoned her inside.

Shutting the door behind her, Jarim sidled into the seat in front of the desk and fiddled with her wedding band, a ring that had been worn by previous female rulers of the nation.

"I-I wanted to ask you something," She began, hesitating at the lack of words from her husband.

When she saw that he did not answer, she continued. "I wanted to ask why you said what you said,"

Hyunjin raised an eyebrow. "What d'you mean?"

"You said when we first agreed on this whole marriage that this was just a - ploy to get the crown," Jarim lowered her voice so no-one passing by could possibly hear. "Then why did you say that I was to be Queen?"

"Because you will be," Hyunjin replied, and the Prince refrained himself from laughing at his wife's puzzled expression.

"But- "

"I," Hyunjin paused. "I would like to - apologise for my behaviour over the last few months,"

Jarim's insides were melting as she watched the Prince fiddle with his earring, not quite meeting her eyes as he spoke.

"I was just so - confused when I heard that Bae Jiwoo was back," He mumbled. "See, things hadn't ended on good terms before she had left, and hearing that she was back made me feel funny inside. But I realised that it was a bad feeling,"

"And hearing that you went to talk with her only made me even more nervous and angry. I didn't want her to hurt you,"

"Do... do you know why she came back from Osaka?" Jarim asked as the Prince nodded.

"She heard about the wedding, and her main goal was to frighten you off of the throne," Hyunjin smirked lightly. "Not like I would let that happen, or you for that matter,"

At his last few words, Jarim's eyes enlarged, a soft smile on her face. "You mean it? You're really making me Queen?"

"I couldn't see anyone better for the position," The Prince leaned back in his seat. "Besides, you're my wife,"

And then, the most unexpected even happened.

Jarim hugged Hyunjin.

The girl had stood up from her chair, and ran over to throw her arms around the boy that she deeply cared for. Her toes strained to reach his height, and Hyunjin swallowed as he felt his chin rest on the crown of her head.

Slowly, his own muscular arms wrapped around her smaller frame, gently engulfing her in his warmth, his face buried in the nape of her neck, his slender fingers rubbing small circles on the small of her back.

For a while, the two stayed in the position, content in each others' arms as they gently swayed from side to side.

"I'm glad you're talking to me," Jarim whispered. "I didn't know how much longer I could go without,"

"Neither could I," The Prince murmered and the girl tried not to blush as she realised just how close his mouth was to her ear.

As the two stayed in their embrace, Yeji and Seungmin watched from the small slit in the door, small smirks on their faces and the female Hwang captured a photo, careful not to startle the couple.

"I told you they were going to make up," Yeji whispered truimphantly to the Kim boy who rolled his eyes.

"You said that they'd make up by having a make-out session," He accused. "They've not even held hands, let alone a make-out session,"

"Oh, shut it, puppy-boy, at least their back to being okay again,"

"Yeah, that's good,"

AUTHOR'S NOTE

i'm sorry for the shorter chapter today, it feels like a filler but our boy and jarim are back to being 'friends'.

what do you think?

take care and stay safe

xx