035. the last big prank

S O R R Y

xxxv||the last big prank

Having finished exam week, it's the final week of term and the marauders have been being extra secretive, not even letting Maria into their dorm room when she left her hairbrush in there. They had a proper memorial for Clarissa about an hour ago and Maria had shed many tears, constantly having her tears wiped away by Remus and Peter who sat either side of her. Regulus had kept glancing at her and nodding upwards, asking wordlessly if she was okay and the girl had nodded each time, though it was clear how she was feeling. James had told her to go to bed but now, she's stood waiting for Regulus outside the Slytherin portrait.

"Hey, come here." Regulus says quietly as he steps out of the archway, quickly bringing her into on embrace, his arms going around her shoulders and on of his hands resting on her neck as he kisses her head gently. "Come on, I want to show you something."

Maria sniffles but nods, letting herself pull away but Regulus brings her into his side as they walk, his arm around her shoulders, rubbing her arm soothingly. They go through a door in the entrance hall and take the stairs downwards. Downstairs, in a broad stone basement corridor, brightly lit and decorated with food-themed paintings. Regulus walks over to one of a bowl of fruit and tickles a pear on it. The pear begins to giggle and turns into a large green door handle, revealing the entrance to the Hogwarts kitchens.

The kitchen is a gigantic, high-ceilinged room with five tables identical to the ones in the Great Hall above; they're also in the exact same position. There are large quantities of pots and pans heaped around the stone walls, on counter-tops or stoves, and a large brick fireplace at the other end of the hall from the door.

Maria smiles slightly through her tear stains as Regulus pulls her further into the kitchen and an eager house elf hurried over to them.

"Master Regulus!" It's squeaky voice says and Maria assumes it's a female elf because even Micky's high voice is not that high.

"Hi Dinky, this is Maria Potter, she's really upset." Regulus says kindly to the house elf who gasps and looks at Maria's tear stained face.

"Oh—how can Dinky help Miss Maria?"

Regulus crouches down and whispers something into the Dinky's large ear and the elf's face lights up, nodding excitedly before hurrying off. Other house elves are pottering around the kitchen, putting pans and bowls back in their original places and some using their magic to float some onto higher shelves. Some of the house elves are positioned at large sinks filled with soapy water and are scrubbing the golden plates that the students and teachers eat from, all looking quite happy with their jobs.