077. promises cannot be kept in war

H I R A E T H

lxxviii||promises cannot be kept in war

"It's hard to make promises when we don't even know whether we'll be alive tomorrow." She murmurs and he purses his lips, staring up at her with softer eyes.

"At least. . .promise me you won't do anything stupid." Regulus says seriously and she raises an eyebrow at him. "When I find out where the horcrux is and I go—if I die—"

"No." Maria shakes her head, standing up and getting out of the bath. "No—Regulus, you promised we're going. We—us, together!"

"I know—but I cannot be the reason you don't come home to your brother Maria!" Regulus says, following her into the bedroom whilst adjusting a towel around his waist.

"And what about your brother, Regulus?" She points at him accusingly, shrugging on a grey top and some navy blue and white tartan pyjama pants.

"It's different—"

"It's different?! Okay, what about Alyssa and Stanley—or Lily, because you know she cares about you like she's your big sister!" Maria argues as Regulus shrugs on his grey sweatpants. "Or Andromeda and Nymphadora?"

"I'm not going to let you die because of me!"

"You won't be!"

"Yes—yes I will, Ria!" Regulus shouts, stepping closer to the brown haired girl with tears in her eyes. "And that's on me. If I make it out of this and you don't what do you think I'll do! What will James or Remus or Mary do without you?"

"What do you think I'll do if I stay here and you die—knowing I could've been there to prevent it?!" She yells back and he stares at her for a few seconds. "I wouldn't be able to live with that—you know that!"

"Please, Maria—just hear me out—"

"No, Regulus!" Maria snaps, turning to him as she had walked towards her bedroom door. "If you go without me I will never forgive you!"

Regulus stares at her with pleading eyes before the door swings open and Sirius, Marlene and Mary stroll inside, Mary holding Maria's dress by the strap on her finger and Regulus blinks away his tears, turning around to wipe the ones that had fallen off his cheeks.

"Woah—did we interrupt something?" Marlene looks between the two, the tension between them thick, her words slicing through the intense silence like a razor blade.

"No, no it's fine." Regulus shakes his head, blinking a few times before walking out of the room to go to the spare one that he should be using.

Maria sniffles and shakes her head when Sirius goes to ask what had happened, walking out of her own bedroom and downstairs, out of the front door, slamming it behind her. She sees shadows in the thin curtains of people dancing to loud music she can hear from outside and the brown eyed girl sits on the wall of the porch, tears slipping down her cheeks.