136. honesty

LOVE + WAR

cxxxvi || honesty

cxxxvi || honesty

Maria's peacefully slumber is suddenly interrupted by the high pitched cries of her baby which makes her grumble, turning over in Regulus' arms. Turns out Sirius was right when he was rambling on about how Potter and Black genetics mix to a produce a child that is a handful.

    "Your turn." She mutters to him and he sighs, reluctantly leaving her side in the comfort of their bed and walking to the white and pink moses basket opposite the bed.

   Regulus gently lifts the baby into his arms, stroking her head gently, "shhh, please go to sleep." Regulus whispers, but Nova's cries overshadow his pleas making him sigh. "Ria, sweetheart, she's hungry."

   Maria groans slightly, sitting up in the bed and Regulus sits opposite her, helping her tug her shirt over her head. Nova instantly quietens in her mother's arms, Regulus smiling tiredly as Maria feeds her, tracing shapes gently on the side of the small baby's head.

"You are so beautiful." Regulus breathes and Maria's eyes flit from Nova to him before letting out a small laugh. "What?"

"I look like I've been dragged through a hedge and smell like breast milk." Maria deadpans and Regulus grins, shaking his head and looking at their daughter.

"I have a surprise for you." Regulus mutters, twirling the ring she'd transfigured around his middle finger and she raises her eyebrows in question. "Tomorrow. I think you'll like it. I hope you will."

"I'm so tired." Maria whispers and Regulus smiles sympathetically at her, knowing that the first few weeks of motherhood have been exhausting for her, not that she expected anything less. "Can you put her back?" She asks softly as Nova gently pushes Maria's breast away, meaning she's had enough and making Regulus chuckle tiredly and nod. "Remember to—"

"Wind her, I know." Regulus smirks and Maria kisses his cheek as he gently takes the baby from her, resting her stomach on his chest and patting her back gently.

Maria lies back on the soft sheets, smiling slightly when she hears Regulus whispering softly to their daughter in hopes that she'll doze off in his arms. Maria never imagined Regulus as a father before, it hurt her heart too much to be so sure that he would never actually be one. But seeing him as one, a good one, makes her heart swell and her love for him inflate even more if that's even possible.

She feels the mattress dip slightly beside her, indicating that Regulus finally got Nova back in the moses basket, asleep. Regulus' hands slide to her waist that now lies exposed due to her lack of shirt and her inability to put it back on because she just cannot be bothered.

"What's on your mind, love?" Regulus asks her, softly placing kisses across her shoulder before she turns to face him, his hand on her waist pulling her closer. "I can see the cogs working in your brain, what's the matter?"