18: 𝐈𝐬 𝐀𝐝𝐝𝐲 𝐆𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐚 𝐁𝐞 𝐎𝐤𝐚𝐲?

I sobbed aloud as I watched then rush Adaline into the emergency department through the big white doors. On my way to the ER, I called Adaline's dad and sister and they agreed to meet me at the hospital, of course, they questioned why but I didn't have time for that — I'd tell them the whole story when we got there.

I had a crying Esme in my arms as we both watched her get wheeled away which happened an hour ago. Esme wouldn't stop crying after seeing what she saw. Hell, I couldn't believe she would try to kill herself. Adaline was a person who radiated goodness and happiness — and I would've never imagined it getting this far.

It hurt me to see how badly her depression had swallowed such a sweet person. It ate at her insides and spread like the plague. But what hurts the most was that she never once told me she needed help, or that she wanted help. She would put on a fake smile and pretend that what happened to her, didn't.

I should've noticed though. The weight loss, the mood change, her obsessive crying, the fake smiles. She was hurting, so bad and I was so dumb I didn't even fucking know.

"Where's my daughter? Where's my baby?" I heard a man's voice cry out. A woman and older man were frantically talking to the receptionist, still dressed in their pajamas just as I and Esme were.

"Sir," I called out to the man. He turned stiffly and froze when he saw me, clearly noticing me. "I-I'm the boyfriend of Adaline, she babysits my daughter."

He wobbled over to me with a stone hard face. "Why the hell are you here? What do you have to do with any of this?"

"Daddy?" The girl — who I talked to on the phone and knew as Lena — turned to her father and put a calming hand on his shoulder. "Daddy, Lorenzo is her...boyfriend, she had been staying at Lorenzo's," She turned to me with teary eyes, looking between me and my sobbing daughter. "Can you tell us what happened?"

I nodded and told the story from the top. The rape, the heavy dose of Xanax pills she was prescribed, the behavior she displayed up to her overdose. That made them cry even more.

"H-He raped my daughter?"

I bit my lip painfully hard refusing to answer to that question. I hated verbally acknowledging what happened to her so I just, nodded.

"Adaline overdosed?! That can't be possible...Addy wouldn't hurt herself. S-She's too nice and she's precious...She's her." Her father sobbed wiping tears from his wrinkled face.

I nodded my head with tear-stricken eyes. "I thought so too...My baby, she tried to kill herself," I shook my heavy wait head. "I should've been awake for her or maybe if I pushed for her to open she would've told me how she was feeling." I muttered out in a small sob.

"Don't burden yourself...Addy likes to keep things to herself especially when she's the caregiver. She cares for everyone else before herself, so it's not your fault. It's Nix's for hurting her." Her sister stepped in.

A doctor walked in from the double doors with a clipboard in hand. Her eyes landed on our crying figures before leisurely walking over as she double-checked the board. "Are you...Adaline-Rose's family?"

We all nodded.

The doctor sighed heavily before adjusting her glasses on her face. "I'm sure you all understand how serious this is; I mean she overdosed on a drug that is very strong and addictive medication. And because her dose was so heavy because of her situation, she perished,"

My heart dropped in my chest and Lena fell to the ground on he knees sobbing in incoherent Spanish. Her father had tears streaming down his dullened face. My whole world felt like a crack had been torn straight in the middle. Adaline was gone and it was my fault.