Not A Babysitter

Cecelia had gotten a call from Lieutenant Hughes. She clicked down the medical wing in her military issued shoes and uniform. She wasn't given any information about the circumstances surrounding her summons, but she knew better than to question a superior officer. Once in front of the room she was instructed to go to, she ignored the two lieutenants silently saluting her, and took a deep breath. She had been trained to face danger head on, but one thing could scare her more than anything... Lieutenant Hughes, talking about his wife and daughter. She loved Hughes, she really did, but when he started, he would never stop.

Just as she was able to gather the confidence to open the door, a blonde young woman walked up to her. "Oh, I'm sorry, are you here to visit Ed too?"

Cecelia put the pieces in place. Ed, as in Edward Elric, The Full Metal Alchemist. Which meant this was Winry, the Full Metal's mechanic. Cecelia stuttered back into reality. "No, sorry, I was ordered to come here by lieutenant Hughes."

Winry smiled, though Cecelia knew Winry was around the same age as her, the girl seemed so much younger. "Then let's go in, shall we?"

Cecelia nodded and returned her kind efforts with a gentle smile. Winry opened the door for her and allowed Cecelia to go in before her. Cecelia saw the Elric boys, Major Armstrong, and Lieutenant Hughes, all around the window, looking fairly shocked.

"Hey Ed-" Winry came in with a sing-songy voice, grabbing the attention of the men in the room, while also cutting herself off, feeling as confused as Cecelia. "Huh? Whats going on, did I miss something?"

"No," Edward stated, "Just a tornado passing by."

Winry shut the door behind them and approached the men, who were still standing by the window, but Cecelia stayed by the door, not feeling that she was welcomed just yet. "Well I don't think I can do anything about that, but I got the train tickets you asked for."

"Thanks," Ed stopped talking and looked beyond Winry to Cecelia. She felt pretty out of place, and Ed's confused stare made it worse. "Who'd you bring with you?"

That was when Hughes finally turned around from the window. Upon seeing her, his face lit up. "Cece!" She hated that nick-name, Hughes was the only one allowed to call her that, well the Hughes family. He jumped onto her and gave her a big hug. Cecelia tried not to grin, but Hughes was an infectious man.

She let out a laugh and a flustered smile spread across her face. "Alright, alright Hughes," she started to push him off of her, "I came here expecting a mission, or something."

Hughes stopped doting on her and stood up straight, "Awe, yes. I have a very important task for you," His posture turned into a stiff solute, like the one from the other soldiers outside.

Cecelia let out another laugh, this time smaller, feeling a little more self concussions, with the eyes of the room on her. "Get on with it please."

A smirk spread across his face, "Its a very dangerous mission," Cecelia's smile dropped, turning into a confused and concerned grimace. "I need you to escort Edward and Alphonse Elric to Dublith and deliver them safely, and continue escorting them until they return to Central."

"What."

Edward's monotone statement (barely a question) described Cecelia's reaction as well. "Hughes, why do I need to babysit some kids?"

"Who are you calling little!" The elder Elric yelled out, his voice filled with anger.

Cecelia never said little and her opinion of the Elric went to the gutter quickly. "Lieutenant, I really don't understand why two skilled Alchemists need an escort."

Hughes quickly wrapped his arm around the young state alchemist's shoulders, turning her away from the group to whisper to her, "Look, these boys have a lot going on, and could use some extra protection."

"You mean Scar, right?" she asked looking at the man who had his finger over his mouth, hoping to quiet her.

"Well sure, but there is more that I can't really tell you," He saw the skeptical face on his favorite young State Alchemist. "Come on, Cece, please! I'm calling in all of my favors for this one."

That convinced Cecelia, if Hughes was willing to cash in the many favors she owed him all at once, then this was serious. Cecelia let her expression turned into a stern face. "In that case, Lieutenant, you have my word, I won't leave their sides."

Hughes sported the same serious face she had and nodded. They both stood up straight and turned back to see the rest of the people in the room, staring at the two silently. Hughes looked down at the shorter girl, though she didn't have to look at him to know what he wanted her to do.

"Edward and Alphonse Elric," she said with a sickly sweet voice and a kind, plastered smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you both, it appears I'll be accompanying you on your travels."

"Another babysitter?" Ed exclaimed, "We can't catch a break."

"Hey, be kind!" Hughes demanded, defending Cecelia. "She's doing this for me, so if I hear you're being rude, I'll personally teach you the manners of treating women."

"Don't worry Lieutenant," Alphonse spoke up. "I'll make sure Ed behaves."

Hearing the younger Elric come to her defense made Cecelia feel much more at ease about this trip.

"Thank you, Alphonse," Cecelia said with a slight bow. "I promise will not get in the way of your journey."

Ed, though maintaining his upset facade, digressed. "Alright, if you insist Hughes," The fact Ed refused to address her did stick Cecelia in the wrong way, but she knew starting a fight with the person she was supposed to protect was never a good idea.

Cecelia excused herself to pack a bag for the trip and buy a ticket. She didn't know Armstrong, the Elrics or Winry, so staying for whatever else would be discussed seemed unnecessary to know. She assured Hughes and the Elrics she'd meet the boys at the station on time.

Cecelia hadn't been in Central for long, having just arrived a week ago from a slum towards the south. She had been trying to find a medical alchemist to do some research on the human body. She hadn't had enough time to unpack her bag and place her few clothing items into the drawers at her hotel. All she had to do was push the clothes she had pulled out back into her leather suitcase.

She quickly checked out of her room early, paying the small fee to end her stay short. She took her time walking to the station to buy her ticket. She was going to miss the streets of Central, the ones she had grown up on and hadn't had enough time to re-explore, but she did owe Hughes a lot. Central wasn't going anywhere, it'd be here when she returned.

Wah. Trying to skip a lot of writing

How is it so far? tried to force character development in one chapter, one scene really.

Wah. Tell me what i can do to make it better, i love help b/c i'm not a great writer.