The Pulling Point of Family

Cecelia's feet pattered on the cobble walkways as she chased after Ed and Al. They were going to lead her to Maria. She was going to ask her why she killed a father, a husband, a wonderful man.

        The two boys turned a corner then stopped suddenly. "Lieutenant Ross!"

        "Edward, Alphonse!" Cecelia forced herself in front of them, her eyes were fire. "Ms. Cecelia?"

        Alphonse and the other man in the suit of armor recognized each other, screaming, "You're that guy!"

        "And Ling too?" Cecelia barked.

        "Uh, hi Cecelia what are you up to?"

        "We should be asking that!" she replied.

        "Enough chattering! We don't have time for this," The metal man yelled attacking Alphonse. "Alright sweetheart take that back alley. Run directly to the warehouse district. The darkness should hide you."

        "Don't go anywhere, Ross! You have to tell me about Hughes!" Cecelia demanded. Ross stopped for a second.

        "If the MPs show up, they'll shoot you!"

        Maria seemed torn to run away, leaving the girl with no claim of innocence. Begrudgingly she followed the metal man's orders.

        "No, wait!" Alphonse cried.

        "Get back here!"

        A couple of seconds later and an explosion off in the distance turned their attention.

        "Looks like they got her," The metal man said. 'Got her'? Shouldn't he be a bit more upset that the murderer he helped escape was caught?

        Edward dashed past him and Alphonse distracted him as Cecelia chased after Edward. The smell of charred flesh permeated the air, infecting her lungs. Her sprint halted when she caught up with Ed, standing over a burned body and Roy Mustang staring down at the boy with cold eyes.

        "What happened? What happened here, colonel?! Tell Me!" Ed yelled, his fists clenched as he spoke. "Why? Tell me why? Why was Hughes murdered? Why would Lieutenant Ross..." Ed flung himself at the colonel, grabbing his collar. "And why didn't you say anything?!"

        Cecelia watched in shock as Roy smacked the boy to the ground. "You threaten a superior officer? You forget yourself Elric, and Cecelia, you should know better than to let someone under your protection assault a superior officer."

        Cecelia made no move, only gaped at the man she had only known as kind. But this man was cold and heartless. And yet Cecelia couldn't find it within herself to be angry at him for Ross' death. Edward stood again, eyes much angrier than the girl. Edward hissed then charged at Roy. Cecelia's instincts kicked in and she grabbed Ed, holding him back from her superior officer.

        "Brother!" Alphonse appeared and helped Cecelia hold him back.

        "I'm going to tear you apart!"

        "No, I won't let you!" Al said completely trapping Ed in his arms allowing Cecelia to let go and continued her trance-like stare at the corpse. The sight of the charred corpse was giving her flash backs. Ishval. The front lines.

        "This bastard just killed Ross!"

        Alphonse suddenly realized what was going on and yet Roy remained cold and calm. "How could you do that colonel?!"

        "Maria Ross was a fugitive. Our orders were shoot to kill, so I killed her."

        "Is it really that simple for you, Mustang?" Cecelia asked. The Colonel looked over the girl. She never called him Mustang. Her eyes dull yet filled with shock as she stared down at the body he had torched. A part of him twitched seeing the girl his best friend raised so distraught. He had come to see Hughes' makeshift daughter as his own.