Burning Through Your Smile

When Ling finally strolled up to the hotel with Cecelia on his back, both were smiling uncontrollably. Cecelia never thought she'd ever smile again, but with Ling, she felt as if she had nothing to worry about, no weight on her shoulders.

        After a bit of debate, Ling let her off his back to walk into the hotel on her own. Returning to a place that was starting to feel like home sent a calm wave over Cecelia. A gentle smile permeated her lips.

        "Perfect timing Ms. Wood," a bellhop called, "There is someone on the line for you."

        Ling stood closely behind Cecelia, listening carefully as she picked up the phone. "Cecelia Wood," she chimed.

        A dull voice returned her cheer, bringing her head crashing down to earth. "Cecelia, it's Edward."

        His voice was cold and sickly, it made Cecelia's stomach churn with anxiety. Ling was leaning close to hear the conversation. "Hey Ed," she took a step back to keep Ling from hearing. "How's your trip going? Coming back to Central anytime soon?"

        "Let's not talk about that right now." Ed's voice was suspiciously ominous. Ling moved closer to Cecelia again, leaving very little space between them.

        Cecelia stepped back again, placing a had on Ling's chest, forcing him to keep back. "Edward, what's wrong?"

        "I have to ask you something," Cecelia held her breath, avoiding Ling's curious stare. "It's about when you tried to transmute your brother."

                Cecelia's eyes widened, shock and anger suddenly coursing through her veins. Why was he asking her about that? She could tell that Ling was trying to read her. "What about it." Her voice was cold.

        "Well," he hesitated. "Are you sure what you brought to life was, in fact, your brother?"

        "Ed!" she shouted into the receiver, but Ed continued.

        "The eyes! The hair. Do you remember if they matched your brother's?" Ed continued with more confidence. "Are you absolutely sure what you made was your brother?"

        Wrath shook her entire body. She wanted to scream, yell at Ed, at his arrogance. But the memories of that night flashed through her mind. Her teeth clenched. Unable to say another word she slammed the phone down. Hanging up without a word.

        "What did Ed want?" Ling asked innocently.

        Cecelia stood frozen, shaking. But she didn't answer. Think, she wracked her mind. That night, it was so dark, she was so scared. She was bleeding, crying. That thing in front of her, it hardly seemed human. But it reached out to her, it had to be her brother. But... Its hair, its eyes.

        Ling placed a hand on her shoulder, "Hey are you alright?"

        Cecelia took off without another word, sprinting out the hotel doors, Ling chased after her without a second thought. He followed her to the train station. He only caught up with her when she had stopped to buy a ticket.

        "Stay here!" she demanded, shoving past him. "You can't come with me!"

        Ling followed defiantly. "You're clearly upset! I'm not letting you run off alone!"

        Cecelia snapped. "You don't even know me!" she shouted. The young alchemist immediately felt guilty upon seeing Ling's upset face. "I'm sorry," she lowered her head. "I am upset, but I... I... I don't want you to see this. See what I've done."