Testing Dark Waters

Cecelia was rushing through the Central Records wing. Today was one of the few times she would dawn her military blue uniform, trying the old suit on again showed Cecelia just how much she had grown since her last uniform fitting. Maybe it was time to schedule a meeting with the tailor, but the last thing she wanted was to ready herself for another year under military command.

Her destination for the morning? Sheshka, with a pan of freshly baked goods by the one and only Gracia Hughes. A wonderful treat and a potent bargaining chip. Sheshka stood no chance as Cecelia strolled up with her bright smile topped off with Cecelia's matching uniform.

"Good morning Sheshka" she spoke kindly.

"Ms. Woods! My goodness, long time no see. How have you been?" Sheshka greater excitedly she quickly smelled the tray of sweets in Cecelia's hands "And what are these?"

"Gracia made them this morning! I figured I'd bring some along with me to go visit my favorite records holder." Cecelia placed the cookies before Sheshka and the woman's face, though drilling, began to fall.

"Why do I not like where this is leading to?" She asked hesitantly picking up one of the sweet treats.

"I need access to the records from DUBLITH from when the Elrics and I went there and discovered the criminal organization that was hiding in the Devil's Nest." She explained briefly.

"Is that all?" Sheshka asked chewing, almost surprised.

Cecelia checked to make sure no one was around then she leaned in and whispered, "I also need you to not record that I looked at these files in your system."

"Cecelia," Sheshka also searched for her superiors, finding no one, she considered it. "We're not even supposed to let you in without supervision."

"Please Sheshka, these records could be vital to my mission, and I must keep my progress quiet."

Sheshka sighed deeply, "That's what Colonel Mustang said."

"Wait the Colonel asked the same thing?"

"Yeah, but he was in the next room over. it was a while back, I got the feeling he was trying to uncover the motives behind Brigadier General Hughes's death." Cecelia froze upon hearing that. The whole country thought that the murderer had already been caught thanks to Ross. Sheshka saw Cecelia's face contort with confusion and grief. "Is that not what you're doing today?"

Slowly Cecelia started to shake her head. "Maybe in a roundabout way, but," Cecelia shook her head more vigorously. The next room over was where the Hughes's blood was first spilled. "I don't know I guess, I don't think I could handle... any of... that." Her eyes trailed along the hallway, imagining a bleeding man limp by.

"I understand," Sheshka nodded, "You should leave all that to the higher-ups anyway. At least you can trust Colonel Mustang will do everything he can."

Cecelia whipped her nose then nodded, "Yeah," She offered another cookie to the woman, "So is that a yes?"

Sheshka looked between the cookies and her before sighing and taking one. She bit into the cookie as she said "Follow me."

Sheshka led the way to room number four, passing the third record room. Cecelia's ears strained passing the door aching to hear some kind of echo from the past. Room number four opened with a thud and Sheshka ushered her in. "I'll guard the door, cleaning. Try to be quick, I don't want my supervisors to know I let someone in again."

Cecelia nodded and took fast steps to the D files as Sheshka shut the door. She found the box DU- and sorted through the files until she found "Dublith, Devils Nest, 1919." It was thin for the amount of people who died that day. they may have been criminals but an inquest was usually still required. Inside were coroner reports for fifteen people and three or four reports on the incident. Every single one of them was blacked out with dark ink. Only a single picture was in the file. An image of the bodies lined up in the hall of their hideout, covered in canvas tarps. Cecelia felt disgust rise in her throat. She swallowed it and flipped the page over. On the back the was a label that read: "Conclusion to experiment group 419: Exterminated." along with a list of what Cecelia could only presume were names which were all also blacked out, though letters peaked above the ink.