Chapter 17

After taking Maria back to the manor, I found myself wandering into the dungeons. He was definitely down here, everyone wanted to see Dulac, and the dungeons were the busiest I've seen them. Dulac's cell was in the very back, but as I walked up to it, the scene was all too familiar. It was the same cell we had thrown Maria into.

"Robin! I was afraid you wouldn't want to see him. How did they catch him?" Brayen ran up to me and followed me up to the cell.

"He broke into my room while Maria was with me, and I stabbed him. What are they going to do with him?"

"Well, he almost killed you and I assume Maria as well...he'll be executed, no doubt."

"Where's my father during all of this? I'd assume he'd be making an even bigger scene yelling at his prized killer."

"He's...preoccupied..."

"Who with this time?" I sighed. I tried not to sound so upset about it, but since Mother died, Father hasn't cared who he takes for pleasure.

"One of the favorites, I guess." He doesn't have favorites.

Dulac was slumped up against the wall, eyes closed and face dripping with sweat. His side was red and soaked with blood, but at least I didn't kill him.

"Robin, why didn't you finish him? He wouldn't have been able to fight after that wound."

"Because I didn't want to be the one to kill him. And besides, he deserves to suffer for what he's done." Dulac heard me and looked up, his eyes meeting mine for a moment before I stormed off. The overall hatred I held for that man was more than I've ever felt towards anyone else before. At least now he'll get what he deserves and more.

"Robin, wait up!"

"Brayen, I'm going to see my father, do you really want to be there for that?"

"Oh," he caught up to me and I paused to look at him. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Why wouldn't it be? Besides, I'm sure he'll enjoy a visit from me. There's a few things we need to discuss and now's a better time than ever to do so."

"Don't interrupt your father. You don't know what you're walking in to."

"What's he going to do? It's not like I haven't barged in before." Brayen rolled his eyes, obviously disapproving.

"Robin, what would Maria think? Hell, what if it was you and Maria and your father barged in on you?"

"He has before."

"You and Maria haven't done anything. Nothing too far at least. Please, Robin, just listen to me. Don't interrupt your father. That's taking it too far for something that's not an emergency."

"Brayen, you don't need to meddle. If you want to be nosey go find the rest of the guys. I want to go hunting, and we've all been bored. When they're done training and need a break we can go."

My boots felt heavy the closer I got to Father's bedroom, maybe Brayen was right. I could hear my father laughing, and another female laugh echoing. Would it help if I knocked? What did I even want to tell him?

Damn this all...

I walked away but didn't have a destination in mind. There was no where I could really go. Maria needed time to rest, the guys were busy training for a while, and Loveday was preoccupied with her new husband. For the first time in a while, I was alone.

Before I knew it, I was steps away from the hideout, but I couldn't stop there. The more I walked the less alone I felt. I opened the door and made my way to the hidden tunnel, attempting to find my way to the shore. I should know it by now, it's never taken me this long to memorize directions.

When I stepped out, I could see the ocean, and stepped down into the crumbling amphitheater. So much had happened here. You almost lost Maria here...

My feet walked me to the edge. I wasn't going to jump like she did but... why did it seem so...peaceful? No, not peaceful. I don't have the same protection Maria does. I wouldn't survive, and no one would know what happened. I sat on the edge and let my feet dangle.

The Moon was rising, and I knew I had to go home at some point but...I couldn't. Did I want to run away? Unless Maria is with me, I'm not going anywhere. I watched the Moon get higher and higher until it was sitting on the horizon. It was a full moon again, maybe something could happen like last time. I chuckled to myself, no way. The last time something happened with the moon, it was huge, and Maria saved us.

I watch a small flash under the moon, it wasn't nearly as large as the 5,000th moon...but it was far too similar. Could Maria be right? Could it be another curse?

Robin... I looked around, but I was completely alone. No one could have snuck up on me that quietly.

Robin de Noir... Is it a voice in my head? It sounded so much like a whisper... I got off of the ledge and stood up, looking around for anyone, or anything that could be talked to me. But there was nothing, so maybe I really was going crazy.

Then I saw it. A glint, maybe a sparkle, down on the shoreline. But...it was glowing. It couldn't be...could it?