Chapter 46

Benjamin wanted Maria married in a church, as traditional as our wedding could be, yet I stood at the back of the great hall, waiting for the doors to open. My friends had cleaned themselves up and stood by my father.

Before I could take another breath in an attempt to calm my growing nerves, the doors opened. Chills ran down my spine when I saw her, and everything went silent.

I could hear her thoughts as she repeated to herself to breathe and begging herself not to trip. My heart raced as she stepped closer, led by Benjamin.

Maria? Her eyes met mine and I wanted to melt to the floor. Her hair had been styled and tucked away neatly, not a single curl out of place. The dress Loveday had made fit Maria well, and the bright white was clean compared to the darkness of the great hall.

With the large table out of the way, Maria had felt much further away. I'm sure Benjamin was ensuring she wouldn't run to me, as Loveday nearly did with him. I could see him whispering to her, and I wished he'd lead her faster.

I wanted her to be my wife.

Her moon pearl crown was situated perfectly on her hair, glowing lightly. I regretted not getting the dagger from Benjamin, but now was not the time for such worries.

Suddenly, she was in front of me, Benjamin letting her go for the last time. She kissed his cheek, and he took her hand, giving it to me dreadfully slow. He gave a small smile, one of respect. As Loveday stepped forward to situate Maria's dress and take her flowers, Maria took my other hand and I felt her squeeze lightly.

Although we weren't married in a church as Benjamin had requested it, the ceremony went on as dreadfully long as if it had been. My father had taken it upon himself to conduct it, but I couldn't take my eyes away from Maria to watch Benjamin's reactions. I could hardly pay attention to my father's words.

This was it.

My heart pounded in my ears as I watched her. Her perfection. Her glow. Her smile.

This was what I had waited for longer than I had realized it.

"Robin de Noir, will you take Miss Maria Merryweather as your bride?"

"I will," I whispered. I could feel my nerves calming the longer I held her, but the lump growing in my throat was worsening, and I couldn't tell how much longer I could hold it in.

"I will," Maria repeated. Her voice, her hands, her smile; it was all perfect and it was all mine.

I felt her hands tug me closer, and I leaned down to kiss her. My wife...

I could have kissed her for the rest of our lives had the hall not erupted into cheers. Her hands came up to my face, brushing away tears I didn't know had fallen.

My husband... I heard her voice say.

My father was the first to congratulate us, then Loveday and Benjamin. My friends waited until everyone else had seen us, before coming to greet us.

"Never thought Robin would settle, but at least it's with you, Maria," Brayen joked.

"Robin settled? Have you seen her? She settled for him!" I smacked Alain on the back of his head, listening to Maria laugh.

Mills nodded to me once, "How do you two feel?"

"Currently? Like none of this is even real." I slid my arm around Maria's waist, pulling her close to my side.

"I couldn't pay attention to anything your father said."

"Oh good, you've already learned to tune him out. We all learned a while ago," I teased, kissing her temple lightly.