Chapter 34

I waited in the shadows for her, after trying my best to not get caught as I wandered through the empty manor. Marmaduke had been kind enough to show me the ways to get inside earlier.

Without him, Benjamin would have caught me for sure.

I could hear the baby crying while I waited, and I froze. I didn't even know the kid's name yet. Did it even matter? What if the Moon Goddess takes my life? What if she takes Maria's?

"Robin?" Maria's whisper pulled me from my thoughts, and I stepped out to greet her.

"Are you ready?"

"Where's Marmaduke?"

"No need to worry, I'm here."

"How long have you been there?" I asked, worried he had seen me struggle to get in the courtyard.

"Just long enough to watch you start worrying. You needn't worry young prince. I'm sure everything will work out just as it should." He said as I helped him push the fountain aside.

Maria watched from the walls. Unsure of what awaited us at the bottom, I told Maria to wait at the top for me. She held the book tight against her chest, and I could tell she was going to have a hard time letting it go.

As soon as I stepped into the vaults, the wet feeling consumed me, and all I could see ahead of me was darkness. Marmaduke came down next, surveying the area before climbing back up to get the book.

I started regretting allowing Maria to come with us, but it was Maria – she wouldn't listen if I had said no.

"Maria, stay behind me while we're here. The book stays with you until it's time to give it to her. Marmaduke?"

"Why?"

"Because I asked you to, Maria. I was already hesitant on letting you come with me, but I can't make any guarantees for your safety if you choose not to listen."

The look in her eyes alone told me that I had gone too far. I thought back to all of the issues with Dulac, her recklessness when she jumped off the cliff, and I knew I was saying the right things.

"Please, just listen to me this once. I don't know what this thing is capable of, let alone what her entire plan is," I pleaded.

"Princess, I think you should listen to Robin. Even I don't know what she can do, and I've known about her for centuries."

I paused, centuries? How old was he...?

"Fine. But I'm only doing this because Marmaduke doesn't know. If he doesn't know...then I don't even feel quite comfortable in even handing over the book to her."

"Marmaduke?" I asked, silently begging for him to help me.

"She's asked for that book since I discovered her. But your father took it with him when he left Moonacre Valley. We had no idea where it was. Until you came back."

"Came back? I was never here to begin with," Maria said, flatly.

"Maybe not you as you are now, but as you used to be. Every moon princess has the same soul, including you."

"Can we get this over with? The sooner we can get this done, the sooner I can be back in bed and sleeping, where I'm supposed to be right now."

Harsh.

"Come on." I grabbed her hand and pulled her over the familiar path, making sure to help her over any rougher areas. Marmaduke returned to the courtyard.

"Are you upset with me?"

"You tell me we need to get rid of the book, and then that you'll be leaving me for who knows how long. Then after weeks of teaching me how to fight so I can protect myself, you think I want to stay behind you when it matters most. What do you think?"