Chapter 43

I stepped back into the castle, making my way to the hall for dinner, the boys greeted me first, asking questions without taking a breath. I noticed my father behind them waiting, and I promised to speak to them later.

"Father."

"Robin. There's someone here who'd like to see you. Someone I hear you've been neglecting for a while." My father moved, making way for Loveday.

I cringed as Willow walked towards me; her arms raised up. She gripped onto my leg and I stared at Loveday, silently urging her to do something about her child. When she didn't, I groaned and picked Willow up, setting her on my side before she cried.

"You haven't been able to see her as much as we all hoped," Loveday admitted. In truth, I avoided the child. My sister and her husband spoiled Willow, and she was fussed over on wherever she went. She would grow up without the worry of her wants going unnoticed.

"Children aren't really... Well," I started, not sure what I was going to tell her. I had seen the way Maria doted on Willow, and I loved seeing her so happy. But a child...

"It might do you some good to be around Willow more often, Robin. You may need the experience," my father said. I chuckled, shaking my head. "You say no, but what will you do when Maria tells you she wants a child?"

I looked down at Willow, feeling my throat tighten as I swallowed. Whatever Maria wants, she'll get. Willow grabbed for my hair, and I winced as she pulled on a handful.

"Ow, Willow." Loveday laughed as she watched me handle Willow – poorly, unfortunately. If only Maria was here to show me how to handle the child.

"We just wanted to see you before tomorrow, Robin. We're family, and we should be together tonight."

"You avoided us the night before your wedding," I said.

"That was different. Benjamin insisted on having me stay at the manor in my own suite. Your place is here at the castle, Robin."

"So I'm stuck with you all for the night? She's not sleeping with me," I joked.

"It's not like you haven't let her stay with you before. She adores you." Loveday played with Willow's hair, and I watched how the boys doted on her. If they loved Willow, I could only imagine how they'd act if the child was my own.

"I only let her stay because I was too tired to stop her," I said, remembering waking up with Willow on my chest more than once.

My father patted my shoulder, "You'll learn one day, son. You'll never win against the women. They'll always get their way."

Loveday leaned in to hug me tightly, and whispered quietly, "You'll be a good husband to her. I'm proud of you."

I let out a heavy breath, suddenly the reality of it all was crashing down. I knew I was marrying her tomorrow. She was going to be my wife. But once Loveday said it, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

"Earth to Robin?" Brayen waved his hand in front of my face and I blinked, looking back at him slowly.

"Looks like someone is finally realizing what's going on," Loveday reminisced. "I was just as dazed as you were the night before. Even Benjamin had his moments. But once the celebration is over, everything will feel normal."

"Normal? In this valley?" I joked, trying to calm my nerves. Willow's arms stretched out towards me again and I reluctantly took her back from Alain.

Loveday laughed lightly, shaking her head in disbelief. "You say you don't like children but look how well you do with Willow. Maria will want a child, so what will you tell her?"

I sucked in a breath, unsure of what I would tell her. "I couldn't ever tell her no, if it was something she truly wanted."

"That's the only way to keep a woman happy – just keep giving her whatever she wants." My father joked. I strained a chuckle, but worried for the day I couldn't. Would she still love me if it was something I couldn't say yes to?

Handing Willow back to Loveday, I reached for the wine on the table, gulping it all down before refilling the goblet. After the second one, my father reached for the goblet and took it from me, setting it out of reach from me.

"No more wine. We need you decent in the morning. Boys, escort Robin back to his room. Make sure he doesn't leave," he said, waving his hand at me and my friends.

As we all walked up to my room, they asked their questions again.

"So, are you nervous for tomorrow? Do you think she'll show?"

"Alain that's the worst possible thing you could ask him. Of course she'll show," Brayen said, smacking the back of Alain's head.

"Hey, Robin?"

"Ya, Mills?"

"Are you going to leave now that you'll, you know... be a man and all?" I stopped and turned to look at him, a little shocked Mills was the one to ask it.

"Am I not already a man? Are we not all already men? Besides, I'm to take over for father when the time comes. Do you really think I'll leave?"

"If Maria asks him to leave, she'll walk him out on a lead like a dog and he'll follow hopelessly," Alain joked.

"I would. But she won't ask that because she knows how important the family is," I snapped. In truth, I would do whatever she asked of me, even if it meant I'd give up what I loved.

When we finally arrived at my room and I opened the door, none of the guys followed me in.

"We're to make sure you don't leave, and we figured we might be better suited to that at your only exit," Brayen said winking.

Alain nodded, "Thank goodness you can't get out through any windows."

I grabbed Mills' arm and pulled him close. "What's going on?"

"You know, before I have to do something life changing, I usually go for a walk in the woods to clear my head. Too bad I never had a hideout that my fiancée likes to frequent," he responded, smirking.

All three of them shoved me inside, quickly shutting the door and making sure I couldn't open it. I looked around my room, noticing one of my windows had been cracked open, and a rope had been tucked against my wall, tied to the foot of my bed.

Pushing open the window, I looked down at their attempt at an escape route, letting out a breath.

Am I crazy enough to do this?

That's depends, Robin. Are you up to one last night of sneaking around?

My breath caught in my throat when I heard her voice. I worried about how long she had been listening to my thoughts, but I knew she would have said something if she had been listening sooner.

I stared down the rope, knowing I could easily slip down. I grabbed a pair of old gloves, and my favorite buckled jacket, before sliding down the rope and disappearing into the dark forest.