Chapter 6

I woke up to the familiar sound of a screeching bird. Sunlight poured through her windows and I looked down. Maria was still sound asleep, our positions unchanging from the night before.

Slowly, I slid out of the bed, trying my hardest not to wake her. I grabbed my things and left through the secret door she brought me through. As soon as I shut the little door, I could hear knocking, and muffled voices in her room. I put my ear to the door to listen.

"Maria, look at your bed. Covered in dirt! What happened last night? Your uncle made it very clear to you that he wanted you to be there so he could say goodbye before they left for their honeymoon. Loveday was very upset that she couldn't see you before they left, too."

"I'm sorry Miss Heliotrope. I was very tired, and I didn't know where else to go. The manor was empty so I thought I could get some sleep before they left. Would you have rather me slept in the De Noir's castle? With all those bandits and plunderers around?"

Bandits and plunderers... Does she still actually think that about us?

"Now, Maria, what about the dirt all over your bed?"

"I had to walk through the woods to get here. In the dark it's not a very easy feat." I almost pushed away from the wall, but Miss Heliotrope's response kept me in the conversation.

"Did you not ask Robin to bring you here? He could have helped you."

"He was enjoying the party."

"Interesting, I didn't see him again after you left. He must've gone to bed. We all thought you two were together."

I shook my head and walked through the tunnels, trying my best to be sneaky while getting to the woods. As soon as I was safe within the forest's threshold, I ran back to the De Noir Castle. Everyone was still asleep against the walls and ground outside, but I still snuck my way in, just to be safe.

As soon as I reached my room and shut my door, it reopened behind me.

"Robin. Where were you last night, boy? And don't lie."

"I went out, Father."

"You didn't say goodbye to your sister. Come to think of it, Maria was gone too."

"I went for a walk in the forest, I didn't know Maria had left." He stared at me for a second, almost believing me.

"You owe your sister one hell of an apology. Neither you nor Maria were there at the farewells, and both bride and groom were extremely upset."

"How upset could they be? It was their wedding day. The parties lasted longer than any I've known, and I was tired. It was loud and-and I just needed some space."

"You do realize, if you are lying to me, it's not my punishment you'll be getting. You'll answer to Dulac this time."

"Father, I did go to the forest last night." He turned on his heel and left, hopefully satisfied enough. Dulac hadn't been on any patrols with my father since he tried to shoot Maria, so I can only imagine the anger he held inside him.

Maria...how are we supposed to keep this hidden...?

I stared at my bed. It was only one night, how could one night really be so effective? I flopped down and closed my eyes, but it just wasn't the same without her now. How could I be so vulnerable to her?

***

A knock startled me, and I shot up in my bed.

"What do you want?" I grumbled, harshly.

"Robin? It's Maria." I sat on the edge and tried to wake up more.

"Yeah, come in." The door opened and Maria walked in, keeping her head low.

"Maria? What is it? What's wrong?"

"I went to the cliff today."

"Why?"

"I don't know, really. I just went. But something strange happened... And this time, I intend to keep it hidden." She sat next to me and took a deep breath. "Meet me there tonight, after the moon rises."

"At the cliff?"

"Yes. But we are going to take it to the hideout. I need your help again, Robin."

"I'll be there. Just promise me something."

"Anything."

"Promise me you'll stay on top of the cliffs this time." I pulled her head towards me and kissed her forehead.

"I'll try."

"I mean it, Maria." She kissed my cheek and smiled.

"So do I."