Chapter 28

The Christmas season had ended, and a new year had started. Maria had been training for weeks and had improved so much so that I couldn't even hear her nock her arrows. Even Brayen was impressed with her. Her sword fighting improved too, but she refused to fight me.

Springtime was fast approaching in the valley, and I could tell Maria was on edge about Dulac's execution. His date was set for March, as Father didn't want to torment him completely. Maria had asked a few more times if I thought it was the right thing to do, and I couldn't ever give her a straight answer. We were a month away from his execution, and I couldn't be more worried about the outcome.

The book had never changed, and nothing new had happened. But it only made me more worried. How could nothing be happening? This was Moonacre Valley, there was always something happening.

"Robin, your father needs you." This better be good, I'm getting bored.

I found my father downstairs in the main hall, and he quickly turned and started walking away as soon as he saw me.

"We have a problem, and I need you to fix it."

"Me? Why me?"

"Because you're the only one who was dumb enough to fight him in the first place."

"What's going on?"

"Maria came to me this morning, asking if I was really going to kill Dulac. And somehow...Dulac is now missing."

"What?" She wouldn't...

"One of her ribbons was found torn on the gate." It felt like my heart dropped, Maria knows better than to even be down there without me or someone else.

"Are you sure she had something to do with it?"

"What else can we assume? She comes begging us not to kill him, and now both of them are missing, and her ribbon is stuck on the gate."

"Wait...Maria's missing, too?"

"Yes, she is. Benjamin came looking for her and no one can find her." My heart sunk in my chest, and it felt like I couldn't breathe. There's no way she could do this...

Before another thought could cross my mind, I bolted. I had to find her. Dulac has wanted to kill her since she escaped the first time, and now he finally has the chance to.

I went to the hideout first, but it was empty. Not just empty, it was completely torn apart. Everything that Maria and I had worked on and put together to make it our own was completely destroyed...

I pulled the horse head above the fireplace and ran through the hidden door. Without Maria or the pearls, I was running blind through the dark tunnels, my only direction coming from memory. Fuzzy memories...

How am I supposed to find her? She could be anywhere by now... Maria would never do this. Would she? Could she even be capable?

I could feel myself go through so many emotions at once, and I couldn't stand it. I was frustrated and angry...but I could never be mad at Maria. Could I? Just because I loved her, didn't mean I couldn't be mad at her, right?

I could finally see light at the end of the tunnel, and I bolted for it. If she wasn't here...she could be anywhere.

Just before reaching the end, I could hear a scream, and I froze. If Dulac saw me now...he'd kill her. But if I didn't try, he'd probably kill her anyways. What a sick game to play, Dulac.

"SHUT IT! If anyone hears you, we'll both end up dead. Wouldn't want your precious Robin finding you dead, would ya?"

I needed help. There's no way I could take him alone. I couldn't let him kill her though...

She opened her mouth to scream again, but Dulac quickly cocked his gun and aimed. I watched her close her mouth slowly, and Dulac turned towards the cliff. He looked down at the water below, quickly stepping back after kicking some pebble over the edge.

The cliffs were one place that Dulac avoided, somewhere he would never willingly go...unless he had some sadistic plan for torture. After being one of those tortured souls before, I didn't like them either, even more so after Maria jumped from them and I...

If Dulac did bring her all the way here, he must have had something planned. While he was occupied with other things, pacing and thinking, Maria looked around the amphitheater. I was so certain she couldn't see me, but for a moment she stared right at me. She had to know I was here.

Dulac continued to pace all around, and the only thing I could hear was the shuffling of his feet through the gravel.

Until I heard her voice...

I panicked, ready to jump in between Maria and Dulac, but he didn't hear her. I watched her carefully, but her lips never moved. She wasn't even looking at me anymore.

Help me.... Please somebody help me...

Maria? I watched her body stiffen before she began frantically searching. Maria, calm down. I'm here. I won't let him hurt you. I promise. But you have you calm down.

Robin, how is this happening?

I don't know, but we'll figure it out later. Right now, I need to make sure Dulac doesn't hurt you and we get you home safely. I need you to tell me the truth, though. How did Dulac escape?

I don't know.

Maria... my father found your ribbon by his cell.

Do you think I let him go?

I don't want to.

Robin, I was walking to your room. The next thing I know, I'm being dragged through the halls down to the dungeons. It all happened so fast...

Did you ever go to speak to him on your own?

Of course, not! I know that I was against the decision to kill him, but deep down I knew if it didn't happen, it would never end. We would always be looking over our shoulder no matter where we went. We'd never be free.

When I get you out of here, it's all going to be over. I promise.

What do I do, Robin?

Ask him questions. Don't be too loud. I held my breath as she stepped towards Dulac.

"Dulac?"

"Did I say you could speak?"

"Well, no, but -."

"Then don't speak."

"I just want to know what you're hoping to gain from this, that's all."

Dulac stared at her, gun in hand, still cocked from before. "I said, don't speak."

"But maybe I could help you if -." She froze as he took a shot out towards the ocean, whipping the gun back and aiming at the side of her head.

"The next one goes through your skull."