Chapter 44

The door creaked open and I hesitantly looked inside. The fireplace was lit, as were candles around the mantle. Maria stepped around the door, smiling brightly at me. I let out a short breath and felt myself smiling back.

"So? Are you glad you snuck out?" She asked, taking my hand and pulling me towards the fireplace.

"I'm always happy to see you, princess," I said, making myself comfortable on the floor.

"Why do you still call me that?" She asked softly, sitting next to me on her knees.

I paused, staring into the fire. "Because that's who you are to me. You're the Moon Princess. You always have been."

"Will you still call me that tomorrow?" My eyes met hers and I could feel my heart racing.

"No." I said hesitantly, and for a moment I was worried I had hurt her feelings. "Tomorrow, you'll be my wife, Maria."

Her cheeks turned red and I smirked, never wanting to forget the sight before me. "And you will be my husband."

"Something on your mind?"

Mischief sparked in her eyes, and I dropped my eyes to her lips for a moment, noticing her bite. When she nodded, I waited for her answer, but she stayed silent.

"Maria, are you alright?"

"Should I tell Loveday and your father that you've already told me no? Or should I wait for when they start bugging us about children?" Her voice was playful, and I couldn't help but groan and fall onto my back. She leaned over me, steadying herself on one hand by my head, tracing my jawline with the other. I swallowed hard, watching the fire's light dance on her skin.

"I didn't think you would hear that," I admitted. "Do you... Do you listen to me often?"

"Only when I think it's important. I worried about you for a moment, but then I realized Willow was with you," Maria shrugged, pushing my hair away from my face. "Are you really worried that I'll stop loving you if you said no to me?"

"It's crossed my mind a few times I suppose. What if you wanted a child, but I wasn't ready? Or you wanted me to step away from the family and leave the valley? Or what if you wanted something I had no way of giving to you?"

She rested her hand on my cheek, and I put my hand over hers, leaning into her touch. "Robin, nothing in this life, or another, could ever make me stop loving you. I would never ask you to abandon something so important to you. I'd never ask for something I knew you could not give me. And we will talk about children later on. I love Willow, but she's so much work sometimes."

"You're so good with Willow, though. You'd be a great mother..." I mumbled.

"Is that what you think of?"

I nodded, "Whenever I see you with her, I wonder how you'll be with our children. It's... tempting."

"Tempting? Tell me more," she smirked, lying next to me.

I chuckled but shook my head. "My lips are sealed."

"Oh? Let me fix that then." Maria pulled me gently until her lips met mine, holding my breath as she did. "Tell me now?"

I hummed, "Alright, but only because I do hate telling you no. Had you told me you wanted a child, I wouldn't have hesitated to give you what you wanted. Even if I wasn't truly ready to be a father, I'd be ready the moment you asked me."

Maria's cheeks reddened, making me smirk. She let out a shaking breath as she thought about it all. I chuckled as I saw her thoughts, squeezing her hand gently.