Chapter 41

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the day I can finally say she's my wife.

I couldn't eat a thing all day or sit still for more than a few minutes. Loveday had kept Maria locked away for the past few days, finishing up final preparations, not allowing me to partake.

The guys wanted to go out for a short hunt, just for the night, but I declined. I was too on edge to enjoy the hunt.

"Robin, Benjamin is here to see you," my father said through my door.

I quickly opened it, babbling off questions, "What? Why? What did I do? What did I forget to do?" I took a deep breath and I heard Benjamin chuckling.

"You're fine, Robin. I'm just here to talk. Nervous, are you?" I nodded. "You don't need to be. I promise, everything it going to go smoothly."

"How can you be sure? What if someone else decides they don't like us? What happens if someone tries to avenge Dulac and plans to ruin our wedding? What if-?"

"I'm hearing quite a lot of what ifs, Robin. That's all they are. Your father has already prepared security, and the wedding will be a private affair."

I followed them as they walked down the hallway, continuing the conversation as they walked.

"Have you been able to try on the clothes I sent you? Do they fit you alright?"

"They fit me fine. Where are we going?"

"Maria has gotten you a wedding present. You don't want to show up empty handed, and I have something I have been kept from her. I think it's time she received it, and as her husband, it is your responsibility." He sighed, almost happy to be rid of whatever responsibility he was passing on to me.

As we walked outside, I saw Shadow and Brick waiting by the wall. Benjamin opened the pack on Brick's side and pulled out a box. "I promise, this comes with no curses, no moon goddesses, or magical nonsense. It is a family heirloom passed down from her grandfather to me. I had no wife at the time, but her father did, so it went to him. This was meant for Maria."

I opened the box, pulling out a bracelet. I ran my thumb over the links and looked closer at the small charms dangling off. There were a few blank ones, but three of them had small portraits. "Who are they?"

"Well, that's her great-grandmother, her grandmother, and...her mother, the only Merryweather not of blood on that bracelet. Maria has a place, as do the next 5 or 6 women in the Merryweather line." Benjamin said, with a small smile. He clasped his hands together as I put the bracelet back in the box and placed it in my vest pocket.

"Shadow will be here when you're ready. But there are a few more things I must attend to before the ceremony," he said, mounting Brick quickly and taking off. My father, who had been standing off to the side, came up to me by Shadow.

"I'm surprised," he started, "Shadow is a favorite of his."

"It's not like I'm able to keep him," I retorted, "He only let me ride him once before this. Besides, I've never been the best on a horse, we both know that father."

"I do know that. But I also know that Maria was terrified of animals before coming to Moonacre, and now she's like your sister," he said, rubbing Shadow's neck.

"I'm doing the right thing, aren't I?"

"By marrying Maria? Robin, only you can decide that in the end. But if you're really asking for my opinion, then yes you are. You two are more in love with each other than I've ever seen with anyone else, even your mother and I. You're not second-guessing the wedding, are you?"

"No, it's not that," I said quickly. I knew I wanted to marry her. No, you need to marry her. You might die without her, Robin. "I mean, with my life. Getting married, taking over De Noir castle, and living your life. Is that...is that me?"

"No one but you can answer that, Robin," my father said. I knew it was what he wanted, and what everyone expected of me, but was it what I wanted?

"How much time do I have?"

"Before we lock you up for the night? An hour or two."

"Good. I'll be back at sundown." Before he could object, I mounted Shadow quickly and tore off into the forest, towards the hideout.

When I got there, Shadow's breathing was hard, and I slid off of him, tying him up to a branch and patting his neck. I jumped down into the hideout and found my way into the tunnels. I knew which tunnel would lead me to the amphitheater, but I hadn't ever tested the other one. I could only hope it would lead me back to the vaults.