Chapter 31

Marmaduke bumped into me in the hallway and I caught him before he could fall over. When I grabbed him, I could feel a hum of magic through my bones, the same hum that I felt around the crown or dagger.

"Young Prince? Where are you off to?"

"I need the book, Marmaduke. Do you know where it is?"

"Of course. Follow me." He led me down the halls and into the library, sitting me at the desk before going to find the book. "Is that all you need?"

"Yes. I'll be here a while, Marmaduke, just in case Maria come looking for me. She's currently entertaining the new baby."

"You got it, sir. Just yell if you need me." He winked out of the room and I sighed. Maria and I had looked over this book so many times. We couldn't have missed anything. Blank pages still filled the book, up until the marriage between Maria and me. There wasn't anything new.

This book was meant to be the chronicles of Moonacre, but the birth of Loveday's daughter hadn't yet made its appearance. Was it not important to the book?

I must have read the book 6 times before I finally gave up. Nothing new about the magic, nothing new about the family or Dulac or anyone. It wasn't right.

"Marmaduke?"

He appeared in front of me with a pop, "Yes, sir?"

"Is there another book?"

"Another chronicle?" I nodded, his eyes narrowing slowly. "Why would there be another chronicle?"

"I don't know. But this can't be the only one. You've been around for so long, you of all people have to know something."

Marmaduke made a quick gesture to follow him, and I obeyed. What has he been hiding?

"You know something, don't you?"

"I might. But this magic, this information, comes at a price." He opened the door to the kitchen but continued into the small garden in the center. A fountain filled with herbs stood in the middle, which Marmaduke moved aside easily, revealing a hole in the ground.

"After you, young prince."

"What is this place?"

"I'll tell you when you get down there. Now hurry, I have to keep this hidden." He urged me towards a ladder on the side of the hole, and every part of my being was telling me not to go. But what harm could Marmaduke cause...