Chapter 30

Dulac had gone missing again. We had teams going to find him every day, but no traces of him were left. By this point, he could have left the valley completely and we would never know. All we could do was hope that he was gone for good, just in time for summer.

Until Maria made another wish.

We all waited in the castle, my father watching the door of the great hall. I stood by his side, and Maria stood just behind me. I was sick of waiting and was feeling ill every minute that passed.

"How much longer do we have to wait?"

"Not much longer, I hope. But even with the magic, he's strong willed, and might be able to fight it." My father was right, but I could only remember when he busted through my window.

"He came once before," I said quietly. How is he always slipping through our fingers? I don't understand it.

Only those who needed to know knew about the dagger and crown, but everyone knew that Maria had new magic. Magic to keep the valley safe and at peace. But that peace couldn't continue if Dulac was still missing.

He'll be here, Robin. I promise. I felt her squeeze my hand, and I squeezed hers back lightly. Whatever happened at the cliff gave us a new power, to communicate without speaking, and we used it whenever we were around the adults.

"Sir, Dulac has just been spotted at the gates. He looks to be struggling with himself as he comes."

"Let him come all the way to us."

Are they going to kill him?

Yes, Maria. Then you'll be safe.

Do I have to watch?

You shouldn't have to, but I have a feeling my father won't let us leave until it's over.

The door burst open, and he fell in, obviously in a struggle with himself. I had never seen him so weak before.

"Dulac, welcome home!" He looked up at my father who gave him a wicked grin. "You're just in time, we've got some wonderful entertainment for this evening."

At a wave of his fingers, guards surrounded Dulac, and he was dragged towards the center of the room. My father had the large table moved to the side of the room, leaving enough space for the block to be placed in the center. Dulac grunted and squirmed as he was thrown onto the block, barely able to look up at my father. My anxiety of his appearance eased, but now I knew things were going to be gruesome.

"You've put us through some hell, Dulac."

Maria tugged at my sleeve, and I turned to look at her, her face pale and skin cold. What is it?

Beheading?

It's either this or they shoot him. I don't think you'd want to see him suffer from a gunshot.

"You've nearly killed my son, tried to kill the Moon Princess more than once, and abandoned your post here for far too long. You of all people should know the punishment for treason. You are to be executed for your crimes against the valley."

My father stood and walked down to Dulac, kneeling in front of him. I couldn't hear what he said, but it made Dulac writhe against the block. This would all finally come to an end.

As my father stood, he nodded once to the executioner. As Dulac yelled out, I pulled Maria into my chest and covered her ears. She didn't need to watch it or hear it. She shook as she heard the thump of the halberd hit the ground. I didn't dare look at it.

It was over. Everything was finally over. The room fell silent, and my father patted my shoulder.

Robin?

Yes, Princess?

Can we get out of here? I need air. I pulled her outside through the side door, but not before we both glimpsed at the limp body on the floor.

As soon as we got outside, she took a deep breath and shook her head. "It was all so fast. He couldn't even speak."

"He wasn't meant to. What could he say to prove his innocence?"

"I saw it. I heard it."

"I tried my best, I'm sorry. I wish he had given us time to leave."

"Robin, things still feel the same."

"What do you mean?"

"When the 5,000th moon rose, and I broke the curse, the magic stopped. Almost like it was holding its breath. I thought that if Dulac was gone, and we were free, it would feel the same. But nothing's changed. It's still flowing the same as it did before."

"There was no curse to be broken though."

"Right, but remember when we thought that maybe it was a new curse?"

"I do, but who would have set it? We're the only people who know about the pearls, and your Uncle wouldn't do anything to put you into any danger. It might just be that this wasn't a curse, so the magic didn't shift."

"I felt him take his last breath."

"What?"

"I felt him breathe. I could feel it like it was my own. The magic had to have been affected, but not in the way we initially thought. We need the book." I pulled her to the stable and helped her up onto Periwinkle, and I mounted my own horse.

I followed her through the woods towards the manor, but before we got there she stopped. I slowed and stopped next to her, giving her a questioning look.

"It's your sister."

"What?" She rode ahead and slid off her horse as soon as she made it to the back door, leaving me to follow, clueless.

"Maria, explain."

"I felt Dulac die, I could feel his last breath."

"We covered that."

"Your sister just had your niece or nephew. I felt the first breath." I stood, stunned. How could any of this even be happening?

"Are you the connection to the entire valley now? Feel every life begin and end?"

"I don't know, but I hope not." Maria tugged me inside, listening to figure out where to go. I heard a baby cry out, and she led me towards a room.

"Maria! Robin! Come meet the newest addition. Oh, she's such a sweetheart." Maria had no trouble walking in to greet the baby, but I was hesitant. Did I even like children?

Not many children were born into the De Noir clan. We took in runaways from London so there was never any need to have children. As my father always said - we had too many mouths to feed as it was. Children were born into the village all the time, but it proved too difficult for many families who didn't have much to give themselves, let alone new children.

But Maria had saved the valley from whatever famine and economic decline we were in. The option was out there now. Maria held the child closely and sat on the edge of Loveday's bed.

Loveday was covered in sweat, her hair stuck to her forehead and cheeks. Benjamin sat on the other side of her, both his hands around hers.

"Robin, aren't you going to greet your niece?" My sister asked, waving me closer to them.

"Uh... there's something that I need to take care of... Excuse me." I left the room quickly, not know why I needed to leave, just knowing that I needed to.