Chapter 10

I sat in the dining hall, staring at my plate of food. I grew up on this food, but Marmaduke's dishes were so much more appealing.

"Why aren't you eating, Robin?"

"Guess I'm just not that hungry, father."

"Hey Robin, we're all going down to the beach tonight. Are you coming with?" Brayen asked quietly.

"Sure, why not?" My father cleared his throat and I switched my focus onto him.

"If you go, you all need to be on the lookout. We still haven't found Dulac, and who knows where he may be hiding. Take one of the guards with you."

I groaned and rolled my eyes. "Father it will be okay. There's four of us against him."

"And he's still going to beat a bunch of teenagers. Take the guard, or don't go."

My eyes met Mills' and he looked quickly back at his plate. "Fine. But he stays back. Doesn't interact."

"How was Moonacre, Robin?"

"It was boring, and quiet. The governess is psycho. Benjamin still has some...strong feelings towards us. But in a way it's comfortable."

"Comfortable?"

"Well, yeah. I mean... it isn't as bad as you guys might think."

My father chuckled, "I think I know what's going on. Have we all forgotten a certain moon princess?"

"Maria did help...but it's not like she's the only good thing at Moonacre. Loveday is there too, and Marmaduke's food is surprisingly good. It just feels like home."

"How on earth..." Brayen mumbled next to me.

"So, when should we be expecting a wedding?" I choked on my wine.

"What?" The table erupted into laughter. "Maria's only, what, 14? Even if Benjamin liked me, I highly doubt he'll allow Maria to marry me."

"No," I answered flatly. "Excuse me father." I stood up and climbed over the bench. I carried myself up the stairs, out to the hallways. When I finally got to my room, a million thoughts had crossed my mind. I tossed my hat onto my desk and flopped down onto my bed.

I couldn't get the thought of her in a wedding gown out of my head. Why did he have to say that? And why did I have to respond? Would Benjamin even consider my offer?

I groaned into my pillow, thinking how insane I must be. She's 14, I'm 16. There's no way Benjamin would say yes now, and who even knows what he would say when she comes of age. Maybe I could talk to Loveday first and ask her to talk to Benjamin for me. I'd make sure to call him sir, be on my best behavior, hell even clean myself up for once. No smudge under my eyes, no feathers.

I thought back to their wedding. Maria and I were part of the wedding party, Loveday's maid of honor and Benjamin's best man. I was in my regular clothes, as Benjamin wanted it that way, but Maria... Loveday had put together a bright red dress for Maria, to match the red and white of Loveday's dress. It was simple but looked perfect on Maria. When we walked down the aisle, I had thought about it for a moment, but pushed the thought away quickly. I remember the way Benjamin's eyes were focused on Loveday, and only Loveday, for the entire ceremony.

I could barely help keeping my eyes off Maria... Her red dress, curly hair, and freckles burned in my mind forever. The thought of her made my stomach knot up.

What am I going to do?