Chapter 36

I jumped down from the tree, landing hard on my feet. I groaned from the sudden drop, my knees wanting to buckle, leaving me to lean against the tree.

"How long were you up there?" Maria asked.

"Long enough to worry I was away from the valley for too long," I admitted. "I didn't realize you'd heard me until you said something."

"It's that mind thing. We haven't had that happen for a while now, I thought it had ended when she left," she said, quietly.

Maria kept her distance from me, and I could feel myself smirking as she looked up at me.

"Any particular reason you're standing so far away? I thought after all this time, you'd cling to my side.," I mused.

She blushed, then stammered, "Well, Brayen had said that you wouldn't have been so clean and I defended you but how am I to really know when you haven't been to the castle or the manor?"

"You think I don't bathe while I'm out here?" I asked, slightly offended.

"Do you?" She questioned. She let her hair down as she spoke, looking much more relieved without having it pulled back so tightly.

"As a matter of fact," I said stepping closer to her, "I happened to bathe this morning in the river. I'm not a total animal when I'm here, you know."

Her eyes watched me, and I noticed her falter as she tried to take a step back. Maria's eyes wandered over me, and I smirked again.

"Oh, come now. Haven't you missed me, princess?" I teased.

Maria quickly dropped her weapon and pulled me into a tight embrace. "I hate that you left."

"Are you truly mad at me?" I felt her head move against my chest but felt her shoulders tremble. "Everything alright?"

"Nothing's been the same, Robin. I needed you..."

I felt a numbness in my chest and started to feel guilty. I shouldn't have left her, but for the first time in weeks I had finally felt myself again. I had gotten back into the swing of the life in the forest, but never considered how she would feel without me.

"I needed this, though. You have no idea how long it's been since I went out on a hunt like this." It almost felt selfish to say, but it was the truth. I held her tighter, running my fingers through her hair.

"I know you did. I'm not angry at you, I promise," Maria cried. "But did you have to be gone so long?"

"Had you not found me, I would have been here a few more weeks, I think," I confessed.

"Please come home," she begged. That feeling of guilt got worse, and I took a deep breath.

"Fine, but on one condition." She looked up at me, waiting for my request. "Stop sneaking around with Brayen."

"Sneaking around? I wasn't... I did it for you, though." Her eyes were filled with questions, but I shook my head.

"I don't mind him teaching you, but you can't just sneak around without anyone else knowing where you ran off to. You had me really worried when you two got out here." Her eyes got wide and she shook her head quickly.

"Nothing happened! Nothing but the archery. And conversation. I promise, Robin."

"I trust you, princess." I heard her let out a small gasp. "What is it?"

"You don't trust anyone but yourself. But now...now, you trust me?"

"Maria, I've trusted you for a while. Since before you lifted the curse from the valley. If I didn't, I wouldn't have saved you from my father, or made any effort to help you." She gave a soft smile, but it only made me more curious. "Who told you I don't trust - oh. Brayen sure likes to talk, doesn't he?"

"He told me about your mother, and what happened when Loveday left. I don't blame you for not wanting to trust anyone else."

"I'm learning, alright?" Maria nodded and put her head back against my chest. "So, princess, do I smell like death?"

She giggled softly and I felt my heart race. Almost two years ago, I wouldn't have ever let her get this close, or so much into my head. Although now...

"Maria, do you remember when I asked you to run away with me?" I silently begged her not to freak out again.

"Yes," she answered flatly.

"What if... Let's say we did. But not far. Just...somewhere else in the valley? A place just for us?" Gad's teeth, I can't even get the question out.

"Robin?" She pulled back from me, leaving her hands on my sides. My heart was racing even faster now, I felt like I could hear my heartbeat in my ears.

"I want..." I hesitated and took a deep breath. Benjamin had given me permission, but who knows how long it will actually be before this could happen? No. No more waiting, Robin. "Marry me, Maria Merryweather."

***

Author's Note:

Two chapters in one day?? I'm definitely past my writer's block for now. So, for my consistent readers, what else would you like to see in the story? Does anyone have any ideas about what's going to happen next? I've already started Chapter 37, and have an idea for Chapter 38.

But now, I ask my devoted and seriously amazing readers, what's your opinion so far? Do we love it? Are we excited to see what comes of Robin's question? Ooh, how do we think Maria will answer? 

We're getting near to the end of the story, so is there anything you'd like to see? Anything you'd like to come back? (We're not bringing Dulac back from the dead though, that's nonnegotiable.. XD) 

In all seriousness, I'd love to hear from you all, so comment what you think will happen! 

I'm so excited to hear from all of you!

Much love and many many thanks, 
A.S.
<3