Chapter 33

I paced back and forth in my room. How am I supposed to tell her what’s going on?

“Tell me about what?” Maria stood at the door, pulling off a pair of lace gloves. I let out a breath and started to walk closer to her but stopped before she could reach for me. “Robin, what’s going on?”

“Okay, listen. I did something, and you have to promise you won’t be mad at me.” I waited until she hesitantly agreed before continuing. “I asked Marmaduke for help, and he took me some place. But we have a problem.”

“What kind of problem?”

“A big problem. When is the next full moon?”

“In 3 days,” she calculated. “Oh, Robin.. What did you do?”

“I need the book. We’re getting rid of it.”

“Getting rid of the book? Robin, that’s our only glimpse at the future. It’s the only way we know what’s going to happen to us. Why do we have to get rid of it? And what does the moon have to do with it?”

“I met someone who begged for the book to be returned to her.”

“Her?”

“Maria, I promise, it’s not like that. It was like… It was a voice, at first. Then I saw my mother.” I thought about seeing her, nothing more than a shell of what I remembered.

‘What was it that you saw?”

“I didn’t see what she really looked like. I only saw what she showed me, and it wasn’t for very long. But she said-.”

Who are we even talking about, Robin?”

“The Moon Goddess…” Maria stared at Robin, and her silence prompted him to continue. “If we can get her the chronicle before the full moon, then she’ll show us what we’re missing. She was very cryptic about it though, and it’s the only way to ensure everyone’s safety.”

Maria took a step closer to him, never taking her eyes off of him. “And what happens if we don’t?”

“Then I risk someone dying - someone close to me. I don’t want that and I’m certain neither do you.”

“So if we give up the book, you’re sure no one dies?”

“Well…I think.”

“You think? You’re wanting to give up the only thing we have on a hope that no one dies?”

“Someone will die if we don’t Maria,” I pleaded with her. “We aren’t losing the Moon pearls. Just the chronicle…”

“That’s just as important as the pearls Robin! The pearls and the chronicle have powers on their own but together their even more powerful.”

“Yes, I know that. She said that the chronicle was stolen from her a long time ago, and she’s asking for it to be returned.”

“Are you even sure that she has good intentions?”

“I’m not. But we don’t have another choice, Maria. We can give her the chronicle and beg her to spare us all, but that’s our only option.” I held my breath waiting for her answer. I watched her bite her lip and wring her hands.

“And she’s in the vaults?”

“How did you know about those?”

“Marmaduke isn’t the only one who explores places he shouldn’t. We can give her the book, on one condition. I go with you.” Her blue eyes met mine, and I knew I couldn’t object.

“I wouldn’t have asked you if we had any other choice.” She hesitated to step closer to me, but I closed the gap anyways, pulling her in tight.

“With Uncle distracted by his daughter, it should be easy to get this over with. I want this done, and if that’s what it takes then fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“I wouldn’t have said yes if I wasn’t sure, Robin. When do we want to do this?”

“Tonight. I’ll meet you at the fountain in the courtyard. We’ll need Marmaduke to help us move it.”

“Do you think she’ll show you your mother again?”

“I hope not. It’s hard enough to see her portraits in the hall, let alone an empty shell of her. Her mouth never moved, but her voice…it was familiar. Maybe she shows up differently to others, but I don’t want to see her again.”

“Was it truly so bad?”

I hesitated. It wasn’t. I got to see her…hear her voice… But it wasn’t her. It wasn’t even a person. “Yes.”

“I don’t believe you, Robin.”

She looked up at me, and I felt like I wanted to turn to mush. I’ve gotten way too soft.

“I think I need to go on a hunt – once this is over.”

“For how long?”

“Until I’m back to being me again.”