Chapter 4

It had been a few weeks since the 5,000th moon had risen. Benjamin and Loveday's wedding was held at the De Noir Castle, and the party afterwards lasted well into the night. Maria and I had slipped away from the party long enough to make our way back to Moonacre Manor.

"Maria?"

"Yes, Robin?"

"Did you enjoy the party?"

"Well, the De Noir's are wonderful hosts, that's for sure. It was loud and bright, everything I always thought a party would be."

"You've never been to a party?"

"With Miss Heliotrope by my side all the time, what do you think?" I chuckled and pulled her over to a bench within the manor's gardens.

"Maria, there's something I've been meaning to tell you."

"What is it, Robin?"

I rubbed the back of my neck. I really had to go and say that didn't I? She put a hand on my arm, and I looked down at her.

"Robin what's wrong?"

I took a deep breath. Now or never, you idiot. "Maria...I- Well, I..."

"You're scaring me. What's going on?"

"I love you, Maria." I felt the warmth from her hand disappear for a moment, and I watched as she pulled her hand away from me.

"You...You love me Robin?"

"Yes, and I have for quite some time now." Her voice was quiet, and she didn't look at me. Don't tell me I've ruined this...

"Maria, please say something." She stood up and walked a few steps away, holding her arms to her chest. I stood behind her and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Robin, please. Not now." Was she...is she crying?

I sighed and took my hand off her. "I'm sorry."

As I walked away, I looked back at her, sitting on the bench with her head in her hands. She needed space, that's all. I walked back into the forest and found my way to the Moon Princess' tree. Even though it was dark, I knew the forest well.

If I was ever in need of a quiet place, I found myself here. The night I really fell in love with her replayed over and over again, but nothing could keep my mind off of her.

As I laid on the bed, I thought back to the past few weeks, where Maria and I finally got to know each other. We had spent a lot of time here, talking and cleaning the room up. We had made it our own secret hiding spot. And we had met on multiple occasions here, just to talk and get away. I learned everything about her that I could. Loveday would have my head if she knew about this...

"Robin?" I sat up and saw her standing in the doorway.

"Maria..." I whispered.

"Can I stay here for a little while?" I nodded and stood up to leave, but she grabbed my hand. "Please stay." I went back to the bed and sat on the edge.

"I'm sorry, Maria."

"No, Robin, you shouldn't be sorry."

"Why shouldn't I be, huh? You're the Moon Princess. Why would you want to be with someone like me?" She put both hands on my face and stared at me.

"Don't you get it, Robin? I love you, too!" I stood up quickly and pulled her close.

"But then why were you crying? That's why I left in the first place."

"I needed time to think about how to tell you. You should have just waited for me." I smiled and thought to myself, she loves me!

"Maria, I...I don't even know what to say..." She pulled back for a moment and put her hands on my upper arms.

"Then don't say anything. Loveday says conversation is pointless if there's nothing to talk about."

"But I want to talk... I mean, what's going to come of this?" I put my hands at her elbows, silently pleading for her not to leave.

"Well," she slid her hands down to mine, letting me pull her closer, "Robin, I don't know. My uncle... Miss Heliotrope... what will they all think?"

"Why does it matter? They don't control you. You made that very clear when you saved the valley. No one could stop you jumping off that cliff." She stared at her hands, fingertips barely touching my palms.

"You never did tell me about that day. Were you worried?"

"Of course, I was. Is that even a question? I was the first one to try and go after you." Her eyes shot up to meet mine, honey colored and...

She grabbed my collar and pulled me in. She's kissing me... Where do I put my hands? I went for her waist and held her tight, but she pulled away.

"Maria," I whispered. I was shaking, nervous asI've ever been. I felt her hair through my fingers as I slid my hand behind herneck. I tugged on her lightly, and her lips fell back into me. I felt hersmiling and I kept going.