Chapter 45

Every minute that passed after being woken up felt torturously slow. The rush I was feeling was more than I had felt before, and nothing felt normal. I dressed on my own - the first bit of time I had to myself since breakfast. Somehow, the silence was more unbearable than the constant rush beyond my doors.

I stared at myself in the mirror. No leather, no buckles and no feathers. Benjamin had sent over a tailored suit for me, everything down to the shoes. It felt too clean for me to wear, and a part of my wanted to rip everything to shreds and dress in my normal attire. Maria wouldn't mind it.

Knocking at my door pulled me from my thoughts, "Robin?"

My heart jumped, "Maria? What are you doing here?"

"Don't open the door, Loveday says it's bad luck for you to see me. I just... I needed to speak to you." My hand hovered over the doorknob, wondering if I should ignore Loveday's warning.

"Is everything alright, princess?"

"I might have raced from the manor ahead of everyone else... but I needed you to have it. I would never forgive myself if I never gave it back. I thought it might bring you luck, and maybe some comfort." I looked down, hearing something being pushed under my door.

When I picked up the parchment, a thin blue ribbon slipped out, worn and delicate. I let out a shaking breath, and I felt a lump in my throat.

"Maria... you kept this?" My voice was weak as I let my thumb rub it lightly.

"I went back to the forest after everything happened. I thought it might have been important to you. So I kept it, just in case."

"In case of what?" I could feel my body trembling, and for the first time since waking up, I felt a rush of nerves.

I heard her let out a deep breath, "In case there was ever a day that you needed a reminder of who we are, Robin."

Her voice was confident, but I could feel her emotions and I only hoped she could feel mine. "Maria, I want to open this door. I need to see you."

Silence.

"Please?"

"I promise, you'll see me soon. Your sister might kill me." I took a deep breath and nodded to myself, knowing she was right. I looked to the window, seeing the sun almost at it's highest. "I have to go to your sister's for now, but we'll be together in no time, Robin."

"I'll be waiting, princess." I heard the click of her shoes as she left the door, and I felt my back against my door. Everything suddenly felt more real now than it had all morning.

Another knock at my door brought me back to reality, and this time I opened it without waiting, hoping to see Maria. Instead, my father and Benjamin stood waiting.

"Well, this is a nice change. Does it fit you well?" I nodded. "You look like death. Nervous?"

Again, a nod.

"I wish you kept some De Noir in his attire. He looks like a Merryweather."

"My niece is becoming a De Noir, and you don't hear me complaining about that or her attire." Both men fussed over how my clothes were situated, fixing my hair and straightening out the jacket and shirt.

"Can't he at least-."

"Father. It's alright. I look fine. Not exactly how I imagined, but Maria will like it well enough." Benjamin smirked at my father, who glared in return. I loosened my grip on the ribbon that I held tight in my fist, and I held it out to them. "If one of you could help me figure out a way to put this on, I'd appreciate it."

"What is this? Is this...one of Maria's ribbons? It's old and falling apart."

"I'd like to wear it, please. It means a lot to me." Even my father grimaced at the state of the ribbon, neither wanting to place it anywhere on my clean clothes.

Benjamin took the handkerchief he had set in the jacket pocket, unfolding it quickly, then refolding it with the ribbon before replacing it in the pocket.

"There, how is that?"

"It'll do. Thank you," I said, quietly.

"Where in the devil did you even find that, boy?"

I looked to my father, giving him a small smile, "False trail."