Chapter 7

A little gray horse greeted me before I got to the wall of the amphitheater. This must be Periwinkle. I climbed through the tunnel, making my way out to the cliff. Maria sat on the steps waiting for me. I knelt down beside her and nudged her.

"So, what's the big secret huh?" Maria grabbed my hand and pulled me over to the side, too close to the edge. "Maria..."

"It's over here." She knelt down and pulled some rocks away. Underneath, something shiny reflected in the moonlight. "I don't know when it showed up, but I haven't been able to move it. I don't want someone like Dulac to see it."

"What is it?" She picked it up carefully and held it out to me. A silver crown rested in both of her palms. But it wasn't covered in jewels...

"A crown...made with pearls?"

"It's the moon pearls again Robin. Look at them!" They glowed slightly under the moonlight, and I knew we would be in trouble if someone else found these.

"You're the Moon Princess. It was made for you." She shook her head.

"But why now? Why not when I broke the curse?"

"When did you find this?"

"Only this morning. Before I came to see you, actually. I hid it under the rocks and made sure no one else was here when I left."

"Come on, let's get this to the hideout. It will be safe I promise."

"We can take Periwinkle." She picked up her skirt and we walked back through the tunnels. I held on to the crown while she untied Periwinkle.

"Can you help me up Robin?"

"Come here." I got one arm under her legs and she wrapped her arms around my neck. "Well, this looks familiar."

"Shut up. It was different for them." I set her on Periwinkle's back and rested my hands on the saddle.

"Was it though?" I felt her hand on my cheek, and I almost smiled.

"Come on, I don't want to run into any problems."

"Wait, before we go. If we do get caught, what are we going to tell them? You're still in your dress from earlier today. No one is going to believe that we just bumped into each other on a walk. You would have stayed within the manor's gardens."

"Well, we can't tell them the truth. Who knows what that could do to the valley?"

"Maybe...we could tell them a partial truth?"

"Robin, no one can know. Not yet at least." I clenched my jaw tight. At least if we were honest, we could stop sneaking around like this. Why did that just hurt?

"Fine, let's go." I looped the reigns over Periwinkles head and lead her through the woods. I listened for my father's bird, just in case, but thankfully it was dead silent. Periwinkle followed diligently, pulling back every so often. I held tight to the reigns with my hand clenched around the leather.

I spotted the tree, but something felt off about it. I looked around for a moment, and thought I saw a shadow within the trees.

"Maria, take Periwinkle. We aren't alone."

"I'm not leaving you Robin." I put the reigns in her hands.

"Go." I looked back to where I thought I saw someone, but the shadow was gone. Dulac...he's the only one as silent as I am. I walked over slowly, dagger ready.

"I'm right here," I taunted. Dulac's wanted my head on a spike for so long, maybe he'll actually get it.

"Robin!" Maria... I ran as fast I could over to the tree and saw her held tight against a much larger body.

"Let her go Dulac."

"Nah, your father wanted the little urchin dead."

"Not anymore, he doesn't."

"That's not what your father told me. Don't forget, your punishments are my decision now. I choose how you suffer."

"Then hurt me all you want, Dulac! I'm right here. She's harmless now." His slow quiet laugh sent chills down my spine. His dagger glimmered against her neck.

"You've gotten soft, haven't you Robin? All she had to do was yell for you and you came running. You'd do that no matter where she was, wouldn't you?"

"Dulac, this isn't the time! Let her go, and you can do whatever you want to me. She's got nothing to do with this."

"Right, kid. Then why'd you both go missing last night and why are you coincidentally together again tonight? You're hiding something, Robin."

"Robin..." I looked at Maria, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry, Maria. I shouldn't have left. It'll be okay. Don't worry." I threw my dagger to the side and shrugged at Dulac. "I'm defenseless now."

"I'm not letting her go, Robin. Not until I hear the truth come from you."

"Fine! Last night, Maria and I came here to the tree. We talked for a few hours and then I made sure she got home safe. I came back here and stayed here for the night. Maria came by this morning asking me to meet her at the cliff tonight, and I did. I was just making sure she made it here safely."

"You think I'll believe that? The way you ran to come save her tells me something else." I was scrambling. Maria couldn't even put her toes on the ground the way he held her, and she struggled to keep her neck away from the knife.

"Dulac, if you let her go, you can do whatever you want to do to me."

"Tell me the truth."

"I told you the truth! Her safety is the most important thing to me. I didn't want to see her lost in the woods all night. I'm the only one who can help her get through the woods now that Wrolf has disappeared. Please, Dulac. I'm begging you to let her go."

"Beg then. On your knees and beg." I dropped to my knees, and saw Maria shaking her head.

"Robin, you don't need to be tortured to save me."

"Quiet! Now Robin, beg."

I begged, and pleaded, and prayed for him to let her go. "Dulac, I'll do anything."

He finally did it, and I watched her hit the ground. I was so focused on getting up, I didn't see his foot. I felt the air get sucked from my lungs when his foot met my stomach. The end of his dagger lifted my chin, and I could see the leering smile on his face.

"You're mine now, Robin." What did I do? His hand latched onto the back of my head, and he pulled me by my hair through the woods. I struggled to lift myself, the pain was unbearable.

I coughed when he threw me against a tree, and I stared up at him.

"What now, Dulac?"