Chapter 15

"I pledge... to be number one and to win this entire thing."

That's all Midoriya heard Bakugou say before the other classes in their year start yelling at him. He could see Class 1a almost nervously looking around, while some glared at Bakugou. It made sense, after all, Bakugou did paint a target onto their backs.

"But I'm not going to win just for myself." This made the others quiet down. What was Bakugou doing?

"My fr-fr-friend - " Midoriya beamed like Kirishima, Kaminari, Sero, Mina, etc while others stared in disbelief, including some of their class and their sister classes " - told me that I wouldn't be successful if I didn't have a goal, even though I fu-flipping told him that I'd be number one. Shortly after, he died from a villain attack."

The mood became somber as the crowds and people on TV took in the new information. More specifically the classes below him took it in. 

Despite his faults, Bakugou was like that for a reason. If anything, Midoriya knew it better than anyone.

In the first few days of him being gone, Midoriya wasn't able to communicate with anyone. Bakugou had became more irritable, more likely to blow something up, more likely to skip classes. The teachers didn't care about the classes, Bakugou was already doing an amazing job. With straight A's and his acing on the mock test, they were sure about him being able to easily slide into UA.

The real problem was with his attitude. Not his brashness, after all, it was necessary to be a bit reckless when it came to hero work. You needed a strong quirk, which Bakugou had, and confidence, which Bakugou had in loads.

However, another thing a hero needed was motivation, which Bakugou usually had. 

But in those days, he was severely lacking it. The other children knew that Bakugou wasn't to be messed with. That was something everyone in the school knew. Sure, friendly bantering was expected to happen every day. 

Challenging Bakugou to his throne? That was practically the death penalty to anyone in Aldera Junior High. 

It actually took a few months for Midoriya to figure out how to talk that allowed Bakugou to hear him. By then, Bakugou was becoming a hollow husk of his former self. Luckily, it hadn't reached the point where he wouldn't get up in the morning, after all, he was still going to be a goddamn hero. 

If he was going to become an amazing hero, Bakugou thought that by avoiding making friends, he'd be able to do his job without risking heartbreak. It was a logical yet sad decision.

And yet he couldn't forget his friend. It was just boring without Deku next to him, not like he was going to admit that out loud, but it was the truth.

"And because of that, I'm not only winning for myself but for him too. So I'm going to crush you guys and make him proud. Plus ultra and all that shi-stuff."

Bakugou turned away from the microphone and walked down the stage. Midnight watched him as he went back to his class before facing the audience in front of her.

"Alright, you heard what the man said! Let's start the UA Sports Festival!"

--------------------
Bakugou POV

After Bakugou had made his declaration of war, a wheel next to the R18 hero showed up to see what their next event was. His and Deku's observations proved to hold true, because the first event ended up being a race. Midnight stated the rules before herding them over towards the entrance.

"Are you ready???" Midnight yelled as she struck a pose, her whip high in the air.

'Yeah, no fucking duh,' Bakugou growled in his head as a shitty extra pushed against his arm. He turned his head and glared at her, causing her to visibly gulp and move away. 

Letting out a restless sigh, Bakugou looked ahead. This was an obstacle course, but still, it was a race. Despite how much he wanted to destroy anything in his way, he knew that there'd be a bunch of shitty extras catching up behind him. Any advantage they could get, they would use. He's seen it way too much at too many Festivals to let that happen.

As soon as the word 'GO' left Midnight's mouth, the kids at the entrance of the school went running out, only for the front people to have ice frozen up their legs. Bakugou sneered as he activated his quirk to go above them. The ground was shiny with frozen ice and he knew whose work that was. If it weren't for the fact that the tunnel was so fucking crowded, he could easily use his explosions like a car. But it didn't matter. 

What mattered was that he was getting ahead. As for the extras stuck behind, they needed to have more awareness.

They'd have to try harder to win. 

And he was going to fucking stop them.

----------

Bakugou knew that there only a few who could pose serious threat to his victory. One of them, which he hated to admit, was the fucking Half'n'half bastard. Another one was that Ponytail girl. None of the rest really mattered as much. His f-fr-friends, Shitty Hair, Ashido, Soy Sauce, and Dunce Face, even if they were his companions, were weak. Not Aldera weak, but still pretty weak. Their quirks were pretty adaptable, it was just how they used it was a problem.

And to be honest, they'd be pretty shitty for the third round, since it'd most likely be on flat terrain. Not to mention that they were fucking dumb, to his standards. Bakugou was pretty sure that Soy Sauce had the highest grades out of all of them. 

His last test score was a 46.

In any case, the other extras in his class weren't fucking worth mentioning, unless they somehow proved him wrong. 

Several monster-sized robots loomed over him as he maneuvered around their swinging arms. The bulky robots made it a bit easier, had they had slimmer parts that were more flexible, it would've been easy to pluck him out of thin air. 

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see IcyHot freeze up a robot's leg before sliding under it. He scoffed as some foolish students ran underneath it while the ice cracked and the robot fell. Two of the people who managed to 'survive' the incident was Shitty Hair and Metal Eyelashes. It turned out that the two had similar quirks. 

Who knew.

At around fifty or so meters in front of him, down below, Bakugou could see that IcyHot skating around the area. His smirk got wider as he raced over the cliff in the air.

The area underneath him was now a minefield and Half'n'half was carefully running around the several bombs planted underneath. Bakugou started to grin. 

It was his turn to shine.

----------

"AND BAKUGOU KATSUKI MANAGED TO SNATCH FIRST PLACE UNDER TODOROKI SHOUTO, WHAT AN AMAZING END TO THE RACE!"

Bakugou panted heavily as he rested his hands on his knees before straightening up. He had won. He had won.

A cold swipe went through his shoulder and Bakugou had to resist laughing out loud. Deku was celebrating as well. 

Something replaced that cold feeling and rested on that same shoulder. Bakugou almost let out 'Deku' before turning around.

"Can we have a talk?" Todoroki asked, a dark shadow over his eyes.

Bakugou's eyes narrowed before he nodded and followed Todoroki through the halls of the stadium of UA.