Chapter 21

Midoriya always knew that he would be at the UA Sports Festival. But not like this. 

Never like this. 

He was goddamn dead. And yeah, being dead did have his advantages. 

But hearing the roar of the crowd, seeing the sun shine above him, that hurt in the metaphorical way it did, considering that he was well, a ghost. No body and all. 

In any case, he just wanted to feel the grass below his feet. He wanted to train and fight until he was practically dead inside (not outside). He wanted to hear all the noises and know they were for HIM. 

For him and for once, not for Kacchan, no matter how much Midoriya loved his childhood friend, being in his shadow was tiring. The one time that Kacchan was out of the picture and Midoriya was was in the news. You know, when he died. He went to the classroom the day after to see a whole bunch of red spider lilies in vases on his desk. At least they bothered to get him some flowers. 

Even if he wasn't meant to get into UA, though he knew that he could, he wanted to be part of the crowd. He wanted to scream out his lungs, cheering on Kacchan, no matter how much he disliked being in his shadow, Kacchan deserved it. That's what a good friend he could do anyway. 

He wanted to be part of the crowd, loud, visible, and noticed, by someone, anyone. Before, Kacchan, Auntie Mitsuki, Uncle Masaru, and Mom. Now? The only person who knew of his existence was Kacchan and maybe his class. Kacchan's class didn't even know him besides knowing that he existed and that was only a little better than them not knowing his existence. Three of his closest people thought he was dead. Hell, he was dead, why was he even here?

Just, why?

Was this the work of some god who was bored and enjoyed watching the drama unfold? Was this just all a game? 

No, there had to be a scientific reason. 

Right?

Midoriya looked back down at the arena. He was floating right above it, an amazing view that he wouldn't have been able to get had he been alive. But he'd give anything to stand in the bleachers, to feel the warm sun beat down on him, and watch something that he only dreamed of seeing with his own eyes without worry. Part of the allure of the Sports Festival was the crowds it attracted. Not to mention all the amazing merchandise that could be purchased, just being part of it was amazing. 

Well, no matter what, he was not alive. He just had to accept that. Now, the 'problem' at hand was Kacchan's class.

The first time he learned of it was with Kacchan's encounter with Todoroki, along with his life story. Now that he thought about it, why did Todoroki even tell Kacchan, out of all people? He could've easily left it after his promise, there was no need with the whole life story. He then shrugged. Oh well.

The second time was in that hallway with Kacchan. Midoriya had forgotten about the whole 'class knowing his existence' and was then reminded about it then. He should probably work on his memory, despite knowing so many trivia facts about heroes (did you know that All Might's favorite food is udon?). 

He looked down. The arena wasn't too badly torn up, there was barely a scratch on it. The first match wasn't too violent and thankfully not many people were injured. But that quirk was so cool, Shinsou's quirk that is, how far could it go? what sort of responses were needed, what was the minimum, oh god he wanted to do so much research and ask him. 

Another reason why he didn't really liked being dead. 

But if he was being honest, Shinsou had been nagging in his brain a lot. Midoriya was almost 100 percent sure that he had seen him somewhere. The only question was when, where, and why. 

Okay, so maybe that's three questions. But they could be correlated together and that's all that mattered.

The next match, according to the giant screen, was Todoroki against Sero, who Midoriya remembered, was the one that found him out. As much as Midoriya wanted to smack some sense into Todoroki, he knew that there was a slim chance that there would even be enough time to do that. Not only that, but Midoriya was not going to do in in front of Sero. Sero was a great kid and all, but he was still the one who found him out. You couldn't blame him for being wary.

Then again, Midoriya realized, if Kacchan and Todoroki managed to get to the finals, then there would be a chance there. Or Kacchan could do it by himself, he probably would.

Shinsou, as much as Midoriya liked him, probably didn't stand a chance against Todoroki, simply because he was:

1. Part of the hero course. Meaning that he would not have access to any support items, should he have any. 

2. Mentally quirked. Todoroki's was pure power and if he were a close-combat fighter, Shinsou had a small chance, like with Ojirou. Unfortunately, Todoroki was a long-ranged fighter, meaning that before Shinsou could even make a move, Todoroki could've trapped him.

"ALRIGHT, LISTENERS!" Present Mic yelled in the microphone and Midoriya turned his head to look at the announcer's booth, which contained two opposite people, Eraserhead (or Aizawa) and Present Mic himself. "RIGHT NOW, WE'RE GOING TO BE STARTING MATCH 2! TURN YOUR EYES TO THE CENTER OF THE STADIUM AS WE PRESENT OUR FIRST FIGHTER, TODOROKI SHOUTO, THE PRINCE OF ICE!"

In the corner of his eye, Midoriya could spot a flicker of flame. He glanced to see Endeavor, his fire jumping at the title that was given by Present Mic. Endeavor scowled and Midoriya blinked. Ah yes, he probably didn't like the title only involving ice in it. Perhaps 'Prince of Ice and Fire' would satisfy him. 

Or, his mind bitterly reminded him, 'Number One Hero' would make him even happier.

"AND ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIELD, WE'VE GOT SERO HANTA! SERO, THE GURU OF TRAPS AND TAPE!"

The two walked to the stage, walked up the stairs, and went to their respective sides of the arena. Midnight looked at the two. 

"Are you guys ready?!" she asked. 

"Yep," Sero got into a fighting position and Todoroki just nodded. 

"Then if you don't mind, we're going to start! Go!"

A second after Midnight said that, a flash of light appeared and Midoriya was encased in a light blue, sea frost, and certainly solid ice. 

Yep, Midoriya thought, Todoroki definitely won this match. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do you guys have any ideas on what the 'plot' or action's going to be? I'm in a bit of a pickle as where this fanfic is going towards, so any ideas given by you guys would be welcome! Maybe I'll combine your ideas. Maybe I'll put way too much drama. Maybe I'll do something I've done in my other two fics. Who knows? Certainly not me.

I never know what I'm doing in a fic before I do it, so when you guys are surprised, I'm also surprised with what my brain gave me, lol.