15. The Quarterback

-Sky-

-Sky-

Out of all the stupid things I'd done, running out during a tornado warning and spraining my ankle was definitely in top ten. For my defense, I never heard about the warning. Even though multiple people had tried to tell me about it. Okay, yes, it was still my fault.

Truth to be told, I really was disappointed in myself. I kept living in my daydreams and ignored people way too often. I'd ignored my dad completely when he tried to make sure I knew about the tornado. I'd apparently ignored dozens of people talking about it at school. And I had completely missed several announcements during classes.

What on earth was wrong with me? I really needed to start paying attention or I would get myself killed. I'd probably ignore a bunch of cop cars and walk straight into a bank that was being robbed if I didn't learn to pay attention. Why was it so hard for me to focus?

At least the leg wasn't badly injured, and I got out of the storm in one piece. I still started smiling widely every time I thought about Max and Troy, who had come looking for me. When I saw them running towards me, I nearly started crying from relief. I'd been scared, exhausted, tired, hungry, and in pain, but it all got washed away when they found me.

But even though my leg wasn't badly injured, it was still a problem, and I was really angry with myself for it.

I mean, I had ruined the project before we even started working on it. Max was spending a lot of time trying to cheer me up, telling me we would find a way, but the barn was just too far away. Besides, the owls might've left already. In that case, it could take days before we could even find them again, but with my injured leg, I couldn't do that.

"I'm so stupid..." I muttered to myself.

Choosing the owls was a stupid idea. We should've picked something else, like ants or something. That would've been easy. But no, let's take owls, birds who slept during days and flew away during nights. Good thinking.

And now I had a sprained ankle and crutches. My ankle was still hurting, and it was so swollen my shoes didn't fit. The doctor said it wasn't bad, but it would take weeks, maybe even a month, before it was fully healed.

I sighed as I turned to look for Max.

Of course, we had PE. Well, the others had. I was just sitting alone on a bench at the corner of the gym. I watched Max, who looked good in his red shorts and a loose, gray tank top. He had his long hair in a bun, and he laughed cheerily after tossing the ball through the hoop. I wasn't complaining about not being able to participate in the game since they were playing basketball. I sucked at it, just like I sucked at every other game there was, but basketball was the worst. I couldn't get the ball through the hoop even if I used ladders.

But Max was amazing at it. He was amazing at everything. There was a group of girls on the other side of the gym, peering at Max in every turn. One of them got hit by a volleyball when she was too busy drooling over him. I sighed and turned to look at Max again. I was such a disappointment compared to everyone else. I'd finally had the chance to be alone with him, but I stupidly injured my leg just before our first camping trip.