27. Bad Kind of Tension

-Sky-

-Sky-

"So... Why does it look like you've sprained your ankle again?"

I gave Doctor Vera – my doctor – the sweetest smirk I could muster. "You know I'm clumsy," I tried to explain.

He squinted his eyes at me and sighed. "I'll need to prescribe you a long rope. Your parents can use it to tie you to your bed."

My mom chuckled at his words. "We have enough rope."

"Great! So, one week in restraints at first, and then a body armor for the rest of his life," Dr. Vera said. "Preferably one with thick cushions."

I laughed cheerily at him. My previous doctor had always been cranky whenever I showed up at his office, so I really liked my new one.

"Okay, enough with the jokes," he chuckled. "Are you using your splint?"

"I am," I said truthfully. "But it's not helping."

"Really?" he said and looked at my splint that was by the door. I had left it there when they took me to MRI. He stood up and went to get it. "It's quite big."

"Yeah," I nodded. "It's hard to walk with it because my foot might slip out."

Dr. Vera stopped and stared at me for a moment before he rubbed the bridge of his nose. "That's not..." he muttered and took a deep breath. "It's too big for you then. It is supposed to support your leg, but if it's too big, it's just straining it more."

"Why didn't you say something, silly boy!" Mom scolded me.

"I thought it was fine," I said in a tiny voice.

"It's not fine if it's not working!" my mom said in frustration.

"I'll go see if we have an extra splint lying around somewhere," Dr. Vera said, and left the room, leaving me alone with my fuming mother.

"Silly boy..." she muttered and shook her head, trying to calm down. "I should have checked it myself..."

"I'm sorry, Mom..." I said timidly. "I'm just too stupid."

Mom turned to look at me sharply. "Don't say that! You are a smart boy!"

"No, I'm not," I muttered.

"Yes, you are," Mom said and hugged me. "You're just... You know what? I think you just have bigger things on your mind. Albert Einstein forgot to even eat."

"Yeah?" I asked, feeling a lot cheerier.

"Uh... Yeah! I think so," she smiled.

"Okay," I smiled too. "I'm sorry about the splint."

"Don't be. Now you'll get a new one," she said encouragingly. "It will be fine."

It was more than just fine. When I got the new splint that fit me perfectly, I could walk even without the crutches!