44. Off to an Awkward Start

-Luke-

-Luke-

It was almost five in the evening when I stepped out of the shower. I grabbed a towel and started drying my hair hastily. I had spent the entire day thinking about Troy and the date, wishing so hard that everything would go all right. It was the only chance I had – if I screwed up, it all would be over.

I had never been so nervous in my entire life. I feared I would end up having another migraine before I could even go pick up Troy, so I took a pill in hopes it would prevent the attack. Then I took another one for my anxiety. Before I closed the door of my medicine cabinet, I glared at the sea of bottles I had in there. I had to drug myself just to go out on a date. I was already high on painkillers because my knee refused to calm down. I was far from an ideal boyfriend, and it wouldn't take long for Troy to see that.

I closed the door and saw my reflection in the mirror. I saw nothing special, just a guy with pale skin and a bunch of flaws. I saw a guy who had the nerve to ask Troy out, even though he knew it would put him in an awkward position. Troy was too nice to say no, and I had taken advantage of it. I should have just called it off and let him off the hook, but I was a selfish bastard – another proof I was the worst scum who ever lived.

I took a deep breath and leaned against the sink. I tried to wash those thoughts out of my head, but it wasn't easy when a part of me believed it all. I had been told numerous times most of my problems existed because of my sleeping problems, but what if I was being punished? What if God Himself never wanted me to be born, and because I had escaped death, He was now making my life a living hell. Maybe He knew I was evil and I would end up doing something horrible – my ugly personality was a good proof of that.

I clenched my hands around the cool surface of the sink and pressed my eyes shut. I had problems, and I had flaws, and on top of that, I was delusional enough to think that God wanted me dead. I was such a catch. When Troy would find out about what kind of a person I truly was, he would run away from me as fast as he could, and he was our fastest runner.

I sighed and let go of the sink. I walked out of my bathroom and a new wave of nervousness hit me when I saw a bunch of clothes on my bed. I kind of had a crazed I-don't-have-anything-to-wear fit the day before, so I went to buy a new hoodie from the mall after school. It was a simple red hoodie with gray sleeves, and it was warm enough to be used without a jacket. But, when it was lying on my bed, it looked just like any other rag I owned.

The longer I stared at the hoodie, the worse it looked, but I had no choice but to wear it. I didn't have time to go get a new one, and my old ones were out of the question. I usually wasn't so picky about the clothes I was wearing, but there was nothing usual about that day. I had a date with Troy. I had a date with Troy. I still couldn't believe it.

"Sky, I hope you're right..." I sighed and grabbed the best jeans I had.

I did trust the Shrimp, but I couldn't say the same about myself. Sky had helped me to plan our date, and he was sure Troy would have fun. I agreed he would most likely have a great time if his date wasn't me.