45. Giving a Real Chance

-Troy- 

-Troy- 

The ride didn't take long, and soon enough, Luke parked his car at the side of the road. I looked around, and suddenly knew exactly where Luke was taking me.

I turned to look at him with a smile. "You sneaky dude," he smirked. "I know where we're going."

"Yeah?" Luke asked and turned to see me, resting his left hand casually on the steering wheel while he turned the engine off. I pointed at a brightly lighted entrance on the other side of the street. Luke gave it a short look before he turned to look at me again. "Do you... Is it okay? I mean, we can go somewhere else..."

"Dude – if that's not the place where our first date is, then I don't think we should be dating at all," I chuckled. "That's basically my second home!"

Luke smiled, but then he wrinkled his nose. "It wasn't my idea – Sky told me about it."

"You know," I said quietly, "it's nice you asked my friends for advice."

"But...?"

"No buts," I smiled. "I must warn you though – I might get a little crazy in there."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," he replied with a smirk.

I squinted my eyes at him in a playful manner. "You're so going to regret that."

"Me? Never."

There was still tension between us, but it wasn't uncomfortable. I didn't feel bad or weird being there with him. He was always nice and fun to hang out with when it was just the two of us. He somehow seemed freer than usual, like he was finally being himself.

And I guess that was the moment when everything really hit me. I had promised to go out with him, but until now the only thing I had been focusing on was how I was feeling about it – and him – and trying to find some peace of mind. All I had wanted from this date was to finally be able to decide, and that wasn't fair to Luke. I had to give him a real chance.

"What?" he asked quietly, and I snapped out of my thoughts.

"Nothing," I said reassuringly. "Let's have fun tonight."

He frowned a little, looking a bit confused, but he followed me out of his car without saying anything. I was glad about it, because I was kind of confusing myself too. I walked around the car while he was locking the doors and stopped right next to him. I avoided his eyes and turned to look at the madly blinking lights across the street instead.

"You don't seem like a guy who would have his first date in an arcade," I smirked when we started moving.

"Sky said it's your favorite place," Luke said.

"It's true, but you could have chosen something else," I noted, but he only shrugged. "I think that's sweet," I continued when he didn't speak.

He wrinkled his nose, and I laughed, shaking my head in amusement – he clearly hated it when I called him sweet. He was trying to act all cool and tough, but he had carelessly revealed his true nature to me a long time ago. He was just a big softie, disguised as an emotionless jock.